Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Dec 12, 2015.

?

Stay with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10

1. Windows 7

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Windows 10

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Steppo

Steppo Newbie

I hated W10 at first as a W7 user but now I think it's pretty good when you get used to it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I was 'forced' to upgrade to Win10 just because the free upgrade promotion is going to end. I didn't feel any significant difference between Win 8.1 and Win 10 other than the start menu and the lack of "Charm Bar" which I gotten used to it after awhile.

3. shearspots

shearspots Newbie

I don't like Windows 10, that's my choice is Windows 7

4. zuruinp

zuruinp Newbie

There are comparability issues when Windows 10 first came out. At least with AutoCAD. After a few updates, now the problem was gonna. it runs well on my old laptop. Plus, you can easily reset login password if signed in with Microsoft account, which would be horrible on Windows 7.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  5. Mamaller

Mamaller Newbie

If running in Windows 7 , consequences inconceivable,

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. Chai

I have recently updated to Fall Creator's Update. Some minor improvements in MS Edge, but more annoying ads, which can be disabled for the Start menu.

7. EricMLongwell

EricMLongwell Newbie

Microsoft forced me to upgrade (free) to Windows 10, but I'm not comfortable with it. I want to revert back to Windows 7. For downgrading the Windows OS, do I have to format my C drive and install Windows 7 or is there any other alternative. Please advise.

8. Chai

Try this. If you don't get these options, I think formatting your hard drive is your only good option left.

1. Open Start Menu, and search and open Settings.
    2. In the Settings app, find and select Update & security.
    3. Select Recovery.
    4. Select Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1.
    5. Select Get started button, and it will revert your computer to an older version

9. Autumn

Autumn Newbie

Win 10 also boots slower. Because it takes around 3 minutes before it lets me start anything after getting to the desktop. Win 7 was worlds better but now Im stuck with 10 because I dont want to use days and days for setting everything up to win 7 again.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  10. Chai

Win 8 and 10 are supposed to boot faster than Win 7 because it has Fast Boot feature. If it doesn't boot faster, something must be wrong with your machine. If you have a clean Win 10 install, I'm pretty sure it will boot in less than 30 secs, especially if you have SSD.

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

If properly setup-ed, Windows 10 boots faster than Windows 7.

12. Chai

Yup, that's for sure. Just compare a freshly installed Win7 and Win10. The differences are very obvious.

13. Tran33

Tran33 Newbie

Stick with Windows 7...it's the least obnoxious version now that XP is no longer viable. Each and every rendition has ever more noxious corporate spyware/malware embedded....a trend that I first noticed in the Win 2000 era, and one that has continued to present day. I'll be avoiding Win 8, 10, 11, and whatever loathsome version is under development next. Win 7 is the end of the line for M$. I have MX Linux installed on separate hard disk, and slowly becoming comfortable with it. I advise the same. M$ is counting on winning a war of attrition with the enduser, hoping that eventually we will have no choice but to play their game, by their rules. Best to have a Plan B. Also best to flip the birdie to the patches, updates and such. I'm hearing M$ is using the KB crapola to infest Win 7 with their current crop of corporate malware.

I'm old enough to remember that whenever any software was discovered to have any sort of nasty in it, a great hue and cry would erupt...now M$ can bake in a dang keylogger, and the fanboys just yawn and shrug. The times have changed, but definitely not for the better.