Thinking of a full frame mirrorless

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PsYkHoTiK, Nov 5, 2018.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hi, folks!

I'm thinking of picking up a full frame mirror less camera (idea being more compact camera body).

I'm looking at $2k USD for the body and I'm thinking between the below two:
    - Sony Alpha 7 III
    - Nikon Z6

Not looking for super pro level camera. Something I can keep in my pack and for the girlfriend to use as we explore places together.

A constraint I have is that I need it for my upcoming trip (I'll be in Malaysia for a month with my girlfriend - yes, I'll be in Malaysia in December).

I've tried the Sony A7 III and it was pretty good. I never really liked the Sony camera interface (back from the early days).

Pros for Nikon Z6:
    - Z mount sounds interesting
    - My siblings shoot Nikon so I could get the converter and use F mount lenses
    - Top LCD on the body
    - Larger grip (going to try to get my hands on a Z7 to try handling it)
    - kit lens seems to be nicer? (24-70mm f/4)

Cons for Nikon z6:
    - Releases the day before I leave for my trip (will need to try and secure it in time).
    - First gen for Nikon
    - not a lot of lenses available yet

Pros for Sony A7 III:
    - 3rd gen mirror less (and seems to be the one to beat)
    - more lens options

Cons for Sony A7 III:
    - still not a fan of the interface

Any thoughts from the greater TechARP camera geek collective?

Thanks!

Sent from my FruitPhone using Tapatalk

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Even though I'm not a fan of Sony's mirrorless ecosystem, but theirs is the most mature and reliable so far and A7III is good value for mirrorless FF.

But is it really necessary to rush a FF system for a trip?

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not convinced by any of the FF mirrorless. All of them have tradeoffs.

Personally, I think Sony APS-C is attractive because it has good photo and video capabilities, and it's compact enough, provided that you use the kit lens. This is basically the same for almost all APS-C or m4/3 class cameras.

IMO, FF mirrorless are just as big, if not bigger than DSLR equivalent, especially if you include the lenses.

Do you plan to shoot photo or video more?

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, the A7 III does look pretty cool. I was playing with the A7R III and I think the external dimensions are similar to the A7 III.

It'd only be a rush on the Nikon Z7. I'm doing plenty of reading on the A7 III and availability is easy.

Also, we have Black Friday deals coming up here in the US.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Since I'm just starting to get back into digital photography, what kind of trade offs are there with FF mirror less?

My brother was telling me to look at the Sony a6500 for almost the same reasons.

I'll probably do both in almost equal amounts. I like the 4k capabilities of the FF mirror less (step up from like a GoPro)

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I think 4k video on the A7 III would be better. No idea how well they've improved on the overheating issues with the A6500, but even without heat issues the A6500 has horrible rolling shutter, plus you can't achieve the same bokehlicious effects of a FF mirrorless.

7. Chai

A6500 was one of my target. Unless you actively shoot 4k video and pan a lot, 4k video should not be a problem. There's also a lot of comments on overheating 4k shooting, but it should not be a problem under most usage.

I haven't seen the new nikon z7, but most reviews mentioned that AF is not great, and tracking is not nikon dslr level as well. It's quite expensive though if you adopt nikon ff now. It does not have 100% f mount lenses compatibility, so make sure you test it first.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I went with the Nikon Z6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Nice Kitty!

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  10. Chai

Wow, nice kitty and camera!

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

This pic is so meme-able :lol:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Tried a 1 second exposure

[​IMG]

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Doesn't look very sharp... tripod? Or just a browser image resizing issue?

(edit: wtf I can't right-click and check Properties for the image anymore, all I get is a stupid "ask cortana" option)

(edit 2: ah, managed to download and check the picture in Photoshop, seems like browser was sizing the thing up 200%. But anyways... Cortana wtf???)

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm sure there's compression from Photobucket. But I also didn't have a tripod (set the camera on the side of the balcony )

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I think it's because you linked to a lower quality version from Photobucket, image dimensions was just 1124x748. Normally I can easily check details by right-clicking on the image and selecting properties... but wtf Edge/Cortana :confused::doh::wall:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Heres a OneDrive link:
    20181201_231156300_iOS.jpg

Just propped it up against the balcony

17. Chai

Nice!

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  18. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yea nice, big difference compared to the downsized Photobucket image.

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I love this camera (and my car )

[​IMG]

I hope that everyone is having a good 2019 so far

Chai and Trinity like this.
  20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Sweet car man!:cool: What are the specs? May I ask, What do you do for a living?

PsYkHoTiK likes this.