Why GPU's and CPUs aren't maxed at all times.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Heera, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Heera

Heera Newbie

Hey guys,

I've been in a discussion with someone on another subreddit about GPU usage and why a recent release has been pinning my i7-7700k GTX 1080 system to between 97 and 99% GPU usage, CPU steady about 30-40% usage, RAM 3gb max used of 32gb.

It has always been my experience that unless a game isn't optimised correctly it wont max out your GPU and that is the way I've always built my systems, so that I've got enough head room to do other tasks, however the other person claims that if my GPU isnt at 100% usage at all times during games it isnt using the full power of the GPU and therefore I have a bottleneck or a frame cap.

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

If the frame rate of the game is uncapped (either unintentionally or by design) then it is likely for the GPU to max out since it is spending all its time processing frames to its maximum capacity. Similarly, if a game is GPU-light but more CPU-intensive then an uncapped FPS would max out CPU usage instead. What sort of frame rates are you getting from the game?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

97-99% is pretty maxed to me, especially when CPU is hovering below 50%, unless it is not multi core optimised games.