Windows Services Exposed adn Expunge

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kayFX, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

winXP enables many resource-sucking background apps by default.. so we have to identify which is essential services, useful services, and nonessential services to boost up your system perfomance and regain the resource.. i will list them down in group..

BACK UP YOUR CONFIG!
    to back up the service settings held in the registry; run REGEDIT, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, and use File > Export to save that data.. double clicking the file it produces will restore your settings.. this is good bit of insurance, but don be complacent, turn off a critical service like Remote Procedure Call and your PC may not even boot, making it impossible to use the backup file..

Gaining Control
    to find out what happening to your computer launch the services control (Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services) or just select start> run and enter services.msc .. the console will list all the services registered on your PC.. most services accompanied by a lot of detail about it so make sure you click the "Extended" tab to view it all.. pay attention to particular services that have "Started" in the Status column.. htese are currently running and comsumes at least some of your PC's resources.. look at the "Startup Type", "Automatic" starts on its own or when windows boots, "Manual" as you know must be stated manually and "Disable" that will not start under any circumstances.. the final column, "Log on as" illustrates a new security feature in windows XP.. "Local System" have full user privileges which means they can do whatever they like.. "Network Service" have only the minimum privileges they need to carry out their task.. so if a hacker manage to compromise one of these, the hacker will be limited in what he/she can do.. but dont start changing the way they log on.. many need the "Local Service" or "Network Service" and changing their status could result in strange behavior..

Essential Services
    perhaps the best place to start is by detailing the services you really need, regardless of how your system is configured..

Antivirus Software
    you'll probably find that your antivirus is running as a sevice.. if you want to turn it off, best use via the "official" route by right clicking an icon in the system tray..

Cryptographic Services
    even if you dont need this service, its other functions are useful..

Event Log
    excellent feature to records problems by other programs and services..

Plug and Play
    to recognize new devices as they are installed, or if you plug something to your USB or FireWire port..

Remote Procedure Call
    windows need RPC to run and disabling this is likely to cause serious problem..

Task Scheduler
    leave it set to "Automatic"..

Windows Audio
    this service should only be disable if you dont have a soundcard or integrated sound on your mobo..

Windows Management Instrumentation
    windows itself uses WMI, as do many other application, so it's best leave it set to "Automatic"

Workstation
    allows access to remote files and other resources accross a network, as well as provides support for some internet services like "Background Intelligent Transfer".. to be safe, whether you're you're networked or not, you really should leave this running..

Useful Services
    exemple, services may be vital for a networked system and useless for anything else, but windows still launch them on a stand-alone PC.. these are some of the services you may be able to do without, denpending on your circumstances..

Application Layer Gateaway
    essential whether youre using Windows Internet Connection Sharing or the Internet Connection Firewall.. useless if youre not..

Automatic Updates
    if youre prefer not to have windows XP check for updates on its own, it can be safely be disable..

Background Intelligent Transfer
    if youre disable "Automatic Updates", this can be turn off too..

COM+
    both the Event System and System Application Services help to administer Microsoft's Component Object Model system (see www.microsoft.com/com/tech/COMPlus.asp if youre interested). you may be running application that needs it (even you have a stand-alone system), so leave it set to "Manual"..

DHCP Client
    obtains an IP address from a DHCP server, either on a local network or (possibly) for your internet connection.. if you dont use DHCP, can try disabling it but restore it itf you start having problem..

Help and Support
    why is Windows Help a service? i have no idea.. disable it if you like but selecting start>help or support will restart it again..

HID Input Service
    provide "hot buttons" support.. if you dont use it try disable it..

Logical Disk Manager
    if you want to manage your hard drives (right-click My Computer, select Manage, and then Disk Management), this need to be running.. leaving it "Manual" would be nice..

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider/ Volume Shadow Copy
    unless you use Microsoft Backup, or another imaging program that requires these services, they can both be turned off.. you can switch back on if your backuo program doesnt work correctly afterward..

System Restore
    ideally, leave this service running.. if you do decide to turn it off (control panel> system> system restore), note that all your previous Restore Points will be lost..

Telephony
    you defenitely need this service if you use a conventional dial up modem.. if you have cable or ADSL connection, set to "Manual" (it may still be required)..

Webclient
    this allow you to browse to "Netwok Places" that are actually on the internet, and lets windows programs "create access, and modify internet-based files".. as it reportedly can also slow down browsing on your local network, so try disabling it, then monitoring what happens next..

Windows Image Aquisition
    if you dont have a scanner or webcam, turn it off.. and if you do it may not require the WIA service, so turn it of anyway..

Windows Installer
    handles any programs that install using .MSI files.. youre like to need it occassionally, though not often, so it seems a good candidate for the "Manual" setting where the service will consume RAM only when its required)..

Wireless Zero Configuration Properties
    handy if youve got any 802.11x wireless adapters installed (it helps set them up), but entirely useless if youre havent..

Nonessential Services
    i' been really cautious so far, some services really are important to keep you system running smoothly.. but there are chance of your needing one of these services is very slim in this category indeed..

Application Management
    this provides "Assign, Publish, and Remove software services".. however, as this service doesnt even exist on window XP home edition try turning it off and restoring it to "Manual" if you have problem..

Clipbook
    this feature lets you view the contents of the clipboard, store them permanently, and share them with other users on your local network.. disable it if you dont feel you'll use it..

Computer Browser
    keeps track other systems currently connected to your network.. even if youre in a networked system, you only need 2 PCs running this service, and perhaps none at all if all the systems have windows 2000 or XP based systems..

Distributed Link Tracking Client
    if youre on a stand-alone PC, or if your networked systems dont use NTFS, or you just dont need this feature, then turn it off..

Error Reporting
    ever wonder what's responsible for those dialog boxes that pop up whenever an application crashes, asking if you want to send a report back to microsoft? this service is the culprit.. whether you want to be a part of the windows XP and application bug hunt is up to you..

Indexing
    a good idea in theory, this services creates a document index to speed up searches in windows and offices XP (among other apps).. however in reality it consumes more resources than it's worth..

IPSEC
    if youre telecommuter and need to connect to a remote network via a VPN, then Internet Protocol Security (IPSEC) may be useful.. otherwise it almost certainly not..

Messenger
    this is a service that sends messages between clients and servers across your network.. its obviously a superfluous feature for a stand-alone systems, home network probably wont need it either.. no, its not Windows or MSN Messenger..

Remote Registry Service
    do you want remote users to be able to modify registry setting on your PC :wicked: .. its not as in secure as it sound but disable it would be wise..

SSDP Discovery
    a component of "Universal Plug and Play".. whether you disable it or leave it running, you need to do the same with SSD Discovery..

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    generally required only if your local network uses NetBIOS over TCP/IP..

Telnet
    allows remote user to log on to your PC and run programs.. disable it of you dont want them to do so..

Uninteruptible Power Supply
    its safe to disable this, unless of course you UPS..

Universal Plug and Play
    discovers devices attached to remote PCs on your network, but unless you need this service, its still wise to turn it off..

Windows Time
    syncronizing your clock via an internet server.. but doing so via a windows service that's running all the time is not the most efficient route..

WMI Perfomance Adapter
    unless youre developer, this is of little utility, and can be disable..

Proceed With Care
    compare the list wist the services running on your system, and you'll quickly pick out the ones that seem to bee unnecessary.. to avoid potential problems, its best to proceed with caution.. open the service console.. change the service one at a time to avoid cunfusion.. dont let the potential risks put you off.. managing services isnt difficult, and is a great way to give your system a perfomance boost..

it take take me a whole night to study this and so far im not having problem and boot time have been improved significantly..
    can someone pin this thread so everyone can utilize the info?

1 person likes this.
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nice! Looks like a start of a nice guide to add to ARP! :wicked:

3. "Antivirus Software
    you'll probably find that your antivirus is running as a sevice.. if you want to turn it off, best use via the "official" route by right clicking an icon in the system tray..
    "

Are you insane? :nuts: that's got to be the dumbest suggestion on the planet. Worms rely on the "dumb know it all wanna be" who tweaks his computer and turns off auto protect. :wall: :wall:

4. ESP

ESP Newbie

Quite a nice guide from you, kay. But some of my services are set to Manual. So disable it or just leave it? :think:

How long does it take for you to boot up now after disabling some of the useless stuff you have mentioned?

I don't think I would risk trying it out since my system is working fine with 1GB of memory. Hehe. :mrgreen:

5. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

that is under essential services.. but if you wuold like to turn it off by some reason that is the suggestion to turn it off rather do it via the services console.. some installation may require you to turn off auto protect you know.. :mrgreen:

6. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

you'll be surprise the time of your system boot up since im also have 1Gb of memory.. under nonessential services you can disable them all.. as i said under that category, the chance youll need these services are very slim indeed.. :mrgreen:

7. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

if want to turn off the auto protoect, beter uninstall the AV s/w to free some diskspace :boohoo:

8. Sorry I just get cranky when people turn it off. I am the AV admin at my company I have it locked down so tight the all option boxes are greayed out, it requires a password to uninstall it and if by some chance the user disables the process or gets a virus it emails me to let me know.

Symantec has got the greatest Corporate suite I have ever used. It takes the work out of managing a large company.

9. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

so boss, where should i put this guide? :think:

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you want, you can beef it up further and send it to me or Dashken. Then we will get it posted as a guide. :thumb:

11. Nice guide. Thanks for posting. It is indeed a great help especially for me.

12. GhoulGamer

GhoulGamer Newbie

This is really a helpful one especially for those who didn't know this yet.