Fix for Windows Media Player 11's Runtime problem?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Sep 14, 2007.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, I have tried consistently contacting MS about this, but they seem to think my PC in unable to play these files. (Total BS)
    I have WMP10 installed now, and I can play 720P HD WMV videos just fine. I can even burn DVD's and watch the WMV's at the same time without problems either way. The second I have the WMP 11 runtime installed, it lags my system to nothing. I have to wait about 10 minutes to actually get it closed. It does not matter if WMP 11 is installed, or just the runtime. All updates have done NOTHING.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Could it be a codec-related problem? Maybe you should try reinstalling the codec pack to re-register them for WMP11.

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Nope. Just tried it and am now removing it again.
    Keep in mind, if I install the Zune software (which requires ONLY the WMV11 runtime) I have the same problem. If I remove Zune, and leave the runtime in, same thing. If I remove the runtime, and use WMP 10's runtime, I am fine and operate properly.

4. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Really looks like a WMP11 problem. If WMP10 runs just fine, I would say downgrade to it and wait until MS releases SP3. :think:

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I was hoping that I could get it to work, seeing how most likely MS will force me to use it sometime...

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I know what you mean. I suppose it could be a bug with WMP11 and WinXP. The solution might come in the form of Service Pack 3.

The public beta's coming out soon, and the final SP3 will be out during the first half of next year.

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

The biggest problem I have is that I know for a fact it's the Runtime part of WMP 11. I know because the Zune software needs it, and I can install that and leave WMP 10 alone. If that's on, then playback goes bad. Actually, it's gotten slightly better then the original release, but in no way is anything playable.
    Testing this way allows me to keep a working copy of WMP 10 at all times. I loose some visualizations options otherwise, and I use them.
    In addition, I try to inform MS about the issue, but they say either my PC is not capable of playing 720P WMV HD videos, or that I need to call for advanced tech support. So, either I need a new PC, or I need to pay about 150 or more for a tech call. I can't afford either one, and shouldn't have to get advanced tech support with something like this because WMP 9 and 10 play them without problems. WMP 9 uses more CPU cycles, but it's smooth none the less. I guess I am going to have to use Linux to do a full and proper backup of my system when SP3 comes out at this rate. I can't afford much right now, and because I do very little gaming on my PC anymore, I don't need a new PC anyway.

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Just wondering, have you tried using the latest version of the ForceWare driver?