The New User Reputation System!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello everyone! :wave:

As you have discovered, our new forums now feature a User Reputation system!

This will allow you to help newbies find out who is trustworthy in these forums and who is just, well, talking crap. ;)

Basically, this is a new system which allows all of us to reward those who make good posts and punish those who post nonsense.

If you like what someone posted, or if someone helped you with your problem, show your appreciation by "approving his/her post". Doing so will increase his/her reputation.

And if you don't like what someone posted, or if someone is being a troll, "disapprove" of his/her post. That will deduct points from his/her reputation.

Everyone will be allowed to give everyone else merit / demerit points. As your reputation goes up or down, you will be given different reputation ranks.

These reputation ranks will be based on the total number of reputation points. However, what they are, is up to you to find out! :mrgreen:

Here are some User Reputation factors to consider :-
    Default Reputation
    Everyone starts with a default reputation level of 0.

Register Date Factor
    For every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
    For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Power
    For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count
    A user must have 100 posts before his reputation hits count on others.

Minimum Reputation Count
    A user must have 0 reputation points (no NEGATIVE points, in other words) before his reputation hits count on others.

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
    A user can only give 10 reputation clicks in a single 24-hour period.

Reputation User Spread
    A user must give reputation points to 5 OTHER users before he can hit the same user again.​

To check your Reputation Altering Power and Reputation, please look in the User Information Area in the left column, just below the number of posts.

When you approve or disapprove of a person's post, just click on the weighing scale icon [​IMG] in the person's Information Area.

You can then choose to approve or disapprove of his/her post. You can also add a comment so he/she will know why you awarded him/her the merit or demerit.

Please note that you cannot choose how many points out of your Reputation Power to allocate to the person you are approving/disapproving. When you approve/disapprove of a person, your Reputation Power will determine how many points is added to or deducted from the person's Reputation.

The more reputation power you have, the more "weight" each vote you cast in favour of someone.

For example, if you have a reputation power of 5, whenever you approve of someone's post, that person's reputation increases by 5 points. Conversely, when you disapprove of his post, his reputation decreases by 5 points. :mrgreen:

This way, long-standing members or members with very good reputation will have greater influence in determining another person's reputation than new members or members with poor reputation.

Well, I hope this exciting feature will allow you all to reward those who make good posts and punish those who post crap. :thumb:

EVERYONE! Please use this system to approve / disapprove of someone's POST!

Whenever you approve of someone's post, tell him/her why you approve (i.e. Great post!, Thanks for helping me!, etc).

Whenever you disapprove of someone's post, please tell him/her why you disapprove (i.e. I think you should not be so rude., You are really unfriendly / unhelpful.)

Please do NOT abuse it by wantonly awarding your friends or punishing those you do not like. Please approve / disapprove POSTS, NOT users!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
    3 people like this.
  2. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Some questions:

Is that 1 point per user-receiving reputation point i.e. I can give reputation point for him, him, her and him? Or can I only alter reputation for 1 person in a 365-day period?

Also, I suppose 'reputation-altering' means that it can be positive or negative, right?

If it's a negative point, it doesn't mean you are 'credited' with another point to give someone else, right?

- leian
    Just woke up and confused

3. pyro_maniac

pyro_maniac Newbie

interesting concept .....gotta see how well it goes then...

4. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Reputation ranks...does it includes:

No crab guy
    New to Crab
    Junior Crab
    Senior Crab
    Full of Crabs!
    Lord of the Crabs!!

:p :mrgreen: Just j/k :beer:

Seriously, I think that's interesting! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2004
  5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But why crabs? You like craps?

6. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

7. Adrian Wong

Oh what it means is you will get an extra point to add to or deduct from another person when you vote for him/her after one year in the forums. In other words, your vote carries more weight than someone who just joined the forums.

Yes! Points can be both positive or negative. :wicked:

So, if someone has been naughty, you can deduct his points. :mrgreen:

Oh no.. When you deduct someone's points, you are not given those points to give someone else. You are free to add/deduct as many people's reputation as you like. :thumb:

But remember, your vote only becomes valid if you have at least 100 posts.

8. Adrian Wong

LOL! Actually, the default reputation ranks are pretty lame like :-
    - is on a distinguished road
    - will become famous soon enough
    - has a spectacular aura about​

So we will be creating new ranks that better suit the ARP forums. :dance:

If anyone of you have any suggestions, please PM us! :mrgreen:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thats damn Cheesy.... :lol:

1 person likes this.
  10. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

I think so too. Hahaha... :lol:

11. Adrian Wong

Okay, I just posted an update on the User Reputation System. So, everyone please check the first post!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

12. Zen

Zen Das lässige Schwein

sorry mr boss but i have read it so many times but i still dun really understand it.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

13. Adrian Wong

:wall:

Okay I will just summarize here. :wall:

When you see someone make a good or bad post, you can show your approval or disapproval by using the User Reputation System.

In the thread where you saw the post, just click on the weighing scale icon in the person's avatar area. Then you can choose to approve or disapprove.

Whenever you do this, you will add to the person's reputation rating. This reputation system allows everyone to evaluate a person's standing in this forum. Whether he's a good and helpful person or a crook. :mrgreen:

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I can guess who's the biggest crook of all... :lol: :thumb:
    -14 and counting... :haha:

15. Brian

Brian Newbie

-21 now thanks to me :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  16. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! Okay, please don't use this system to bully someone.. even if it's.. umm.. :mrgreen:

Please use this system to show your approval or disapproval of someone's post. :mrgreen:

17. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

This is bad for me :cry: :cry:
    will be negative soon.. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  18. phatboydu

phatboydu Newbie

user rep sys

as with everyone else, i'm equally confused. okay, i've been busy working on a new "product" for the past month.. so i haven't been on at all.. do i get a bad rep tho :( ... i put out a couple decent articles i think... :confused:

do i get a reputation as the guy who pops up once every two or three months.. posts and lot.. then dissapears.. only to come back with the... "sorry i was gone lately and whats up" post?

19. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

and how come I dont have one those triangles next to my Barisan National symbol :think: :think:

20. Adrian Wong

Hello phatboydu! :wave:

Don't worry. It's not something related with the number of posts. :thumb:

Basically, this is a new system which allows all of us to reward those who make good posts and punish those who post nonsense.

If you like what someone posted, or if someone helped you with your problem, show your appreciation by "approving his/her post". Doing so will increase his/her reputation.

And if you don't like what someone posted, or if someone is being a troll, "disapprove" of his/her post. That will deduct points from his/her reputation.