R.I.P. Opty 144 :(

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Max_87, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

1. Most suspected death reason.
    2. Another possible death reason.
    3. It was alive previously even with this damage present.
    4. Same as no.3

:(

I'm sorry opty :(

:(:(
    :(:(:(
    :(:(:(:cry:

Attached Files:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

OMG....

well, look at the bright side, you get to upgrade much sooner than you think....

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This is actually the 2nd time that I removed the IHS. I sticked it back and for some reason it is overheating and unstable. So I had no choice but to remove the IHS again.

1. I dunno how it got that, appeared after I removed the IHS at the 2nd time and mounted a heatsink.
    2. Most likely created when I pry open the IHS (This is the 2nd time) and twisted the PCB in the process. It's also possible that the mounting pressure from the heatsink caused that.
    3. Zalman CNPS9700 did that when I first removed the IHS.
    4. Did that during the 1st removal of the IHS.

I'm so damb

:)

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Of course not :mrgreen: Otherwise I think I would be happy right now :haha:

Posted :mrgreen:

I won't be able to get any S939 proc in the next few months I guess.

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I'm so sorry to hear that. Having a chip destroyed is no fun at all. :(

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The temperature drop is really impressive though, after the removal of the heatspreader.

I wish AMD/Intel can just put a shim instead of a heatspreader :(

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

R est
    I n
    P ieces

I have a 3200+ venice sitting on my table... :wicked:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The reason why I didn't remove the heatspreader on mine was because of the insane amount of mounting pressure on the coolers will kill the processor.

Some waterblocks are much better, allows you to tighten it slowly.

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Duh.....If I don't stick back the IHS maybe this won't happen. I was forced to remove the IHS again because it was overheating and it's unstable :wall: It idles at 47-48c and instantly shoots over 65~70c when running CoH (using CNPS9700 LED, full speed). When the IHS was removed, it idles at 36-38c and load never exceeds 60c regardless of how much I stress it (using HR-01 with a low speed fan).

Funny thing is the contacts are all okay, then why the hell does it overheat? :| damb fack IHS :|

11. The_YongGrand

The IHS is supposed to make processor intergration easier. Unlike the earlier Athlon XP series, they uses the die - and it's easily cracked when you just angle the heatsink!

I angled a Socket 754 heatsink for a while during installation and it's still perfect. Later I adjust it to 90 degrees. The next installation I did was a full 90 degrees instead.

The heatspreaders do exist during the K6-2 days. Some people did remove it and put a amazing huge cooler and overclock it to 600MHz. Amazing isn't it? :shock:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well the reason people pop it off is its one less layer inbetween the die and the cooler. So less thermal resistence.

However, I would only (remotely) consider it with watercooling/DI/LN2/Phase Change for the specific purposes that Chai mentioned (able to fine tune mounting). Heatsinks are a bit hard (crazy mounting pressure + crazy weight = only bad things.)

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

One of the reason why those heatsink has crazy mounting pressure is because the processors comes with heatspreaders :mrgreen:

Let's say K8 has no heatspreaders now, heatsink makers would not design a mounting mechanism that applies too much mounting pressure to the core. Nowadays the heatsink's mounting mechanism is just not er.... naked core friendly :mrgreen: cause all the processors now has IHS already.

As for the weight....during the K7 days (which doesn't use IHS) the weight of the heatsinks are not much different from what we have nowadays.

In any case, the reason why my opty died is also partly due to my carelessness. If I did everything with extra cautious I'm pretty sure that all those won't happen :(

Still.... the temperature drop is really impressive after the removal of IHS xD IHS are evil :evil:

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

actually the slk800 applies even more pressure on the core. i still remember the amount of strength i needed to push and lock the slk800's clip. it's enough to pull a teeth out of a cow's jaw..hehehehe.. :lol:

imho, I dun see any reason to remove the IHS btw. it's not going to make any significant differences. the manufacturing process is so matured and advanced nowadays, you can even full load the processor at 70C and yet it wont crash. back in the K7 days, anything above 60c is more than enough to give you occasional BSOD.

40, 45 or 50, it'll never bother me.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, quite true. It's not really about the mounting pressure, it's how the heatsink is mounted.

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think that only applies when you are not overclocking :mrgreen: I can do that when running stock, but definitely not when overclocking, but it really depends on how much your chip can tolerate with the high temperature when overclocked I guess.

Thats true. :think:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I remember the sheer strength I needed to put the clip on my ALX-800. I remember I was so scared that I might hear/feel a crunch. lol... :lol:

18. The_YongGrand

So Max_87, what chip you are going to replace the dead Opteron of yours? An Athlon 64 X2? :roll:

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think so....

At the moment no $ :( I think have to wait for a few months. I don't mind if someone sponsor me a new processor though :haha:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yeah man..hehe..
    with K8 mounting, we dun even need to use any tools at all..hahaha..just lock that arm!:thumb: