$1000 USD to spend...HELP!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ishtim, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

After 5 years I am ready to build another machine and I like to get your opinions on what I shold buy.:think:

I own both Intel & AMD, ATi& nVidia, so I am open for suggestions... some gaming, some photoprocessing, etc...
    My P4-2.4 or Athlon XP 3200+ with Ati HD 2600 & GF6800GTX are going to be hand-me-downs for the wife & kid.

I need:
    mobo
    CPU/heatsink
    RAM
    Video
    Sound (onbaoard is OK)
    Storage (<160GB is plenty)

What would you get?:beer:

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Do you need a power supply?

3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I have an 500W antec... Smart power or something like that.
    I am hoping to use the Antec ATX case/PSU to save a few bux.

I am looking at your newegg post... Thanks!

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Oh I think your Antec PSU should be able to do the job. Minimum PSU for an 4870 is 450W but i'm not sure how much amps you need.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Don't buy that CoolerMaster crap! Get a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and pair it with a fan of your choice :thumb:

As for HDD I highly recommend Caviar SE 16 WD6400AAKS, best value for money. The SpinPoint F1 320GB is not a good choice.
    Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
    Costs $20 more but you get twice the space. WD6400AAKS is faster too.

Other than that, the rest of the list looks ok to me. You can select E8400/E8500 or a 550-650W PSU to save a bit more and keep the cost under $1000. 750W is a bit overkill for this system. Otherwise you can just use back your old Antec PSU, it's still powerful enough.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  7. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Agreed with the heatsink, the TRUE was out of stock on Newegg so I just picked the Z-600 for my convenience. :)

The WD could be a better, haven't had any experience with it. From what I can tell though is that the Spinpoint uses less power.

I went for the 750W because I had some money left, and I didn't know or he had a PSU that could handle the system. Might as well take a bit overkill PSU for future proofing.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

That doesn't matter unless you are talking about servers where you have tons of them running. WD6400AAKS is a superior drive in every aspect.

As for PSU, yeah no problem going for a better one if its price fits the budget.

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Thanks for the advice...:beer: :hug:

I have many years of luck with WD drives, however, since the NForce2 days I have had 3 of 5 ASUS boards die and haved moved on to others.:wall: Do you feel that strongly about ASUS? Or is the intel breed improved? :think: As for the WOLFDALE, is it worth extra $80 for jump from 3.16 to 3.33 GHz?

10. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I have a P5Q-E myself and I really like it (had a 650i board before and it died). Good overclocking features, lots of bios options and nice specs overall.

Well if you want to save money (you could use that to go for a nice 750i board if you want) i'd go for the 3.16Ghz. The difference is pretty much nothing at those speeds, and it will be even smaller if you overclock.

1 person likes this.
  11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I just like you, not a big fan of Asus. :mrgreen: The next big player would be Gigabyte.

12. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I have used Gigabyte as well. Which choice for Wolfdale?:think:

13. Chai

E8400/E8500 should be the most value for money now.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't really like ASUS, but now that Abit has gone, I don't really have a choice anymore. If I were to get a new mainboard now, I would buy one from ASUS or maybe DFI.

Nope, I think it's not worth it for you. Unless you want to overclock and fancy getting the highest possible overclocked speeds, then E8600 is worth it as higher binned chips tend to go into E8600.

15. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Man, It would be hard for me to upgrade now, As i7 just 2 weeks away. I know it will be kinda expensive at first. But cuz it's a new socket and ddr3 ram. It would be much more future proof.:think: Wait a month Ishtim, Spend a lil' more cash. And have one of the best rigs on the planet for the time being.:cool:

16. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

DFI boards look pretty nice and are good at OC'ing too.

Some good DFI P45 boards:
    Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY UT P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Difference is that the UT P45 one has dual gigabit, supports up to DDR2 1066, but doesn't support Pentium D or Celeron.

They're a bit more expensive though.

17. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

As nuch as I'd like too... I can't justify the added expense. I have never bought the latest & greatest. Close is fine with me...:D

What do you guys think about the GForce GTX 260 card? Better performer than the ATi 4870?:think:

18. Chai

They are about the same. Get the cheaper one.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

get 4830 then :/..should work out fine just fine..or does it exceed your budget Sir?

1 person likes this.
  20. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Looking at benchmarks, the GTX260 is usually better at lower resolutions. 4870 gets stronger with higher resolutions.