12 Tips To Save Petrol!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Got this in the mail. Not sure if everything written below is correct but it's an interesting read. :mrgreen:

2. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

Not trying to be a ahole of anysort but some english misspells kinda made me laugh :mrgreen:

Tyres are actually spelled Tires and Kerbs are actually Curbs :)

It took me a min to figure out what you were saying on "Tyres".

So what i bet english is a second language for you, as well as many others.......(Just trying to help lol)

Good guide though! I know american gas isnt cheap at about 2.50 a gallon. My mothers ford expidition cost over 60 dollars each fill.

I know that ours is prolly the cheapest. so im not complaining.

Ive heard price of gas is suppose to double in the next 1-2 years in texas at least :pray: pray that it wont :roll:

EDIT Just a question what is yalls highest octain levels? ours are 93 which ive heard is pretty high(Californias highest is 91 Damn hippies :p )

3. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

must use air-con! Malaysian weather!!! haze!!! :haha:

4. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

thats actually a pretty cool fact. Never knew it cost so much :think: About how fast is 80km 50mph? Hmmm I like to use ac quite a bit, but its about 95-100 f out side so i have a excuse...

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Dude...... people outside USA actually use tghe "Queen"s (or proper English) us americans are actually in err to use tIres, curbs, etc... oh what a pity... :haha: :haha:

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

the BEST way to have petrol is, travel less :beer: :D

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

thats because even on overdrive :) the engine usually revs above 2.5k rpm in order to reach those speeds :whistle: :)

overdrive on automatic cards are equivalento to the 4/5/6 gear in manual cars.. depending :p

8. Adrian Wong

Many folks here like to drive with the windows down, so that they can turn off the air-conditioning for better mileage.

But look at the last tip. It claims that the reverse is true when running at over 80km/h. Hmm.. Is it true? Why is that so?? :think:

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

13) do not make love in the car...

10. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

working late again??

11. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

Someone told me that shifting to neutral when going downhill (for automatic transmission cars) also helps save fuel. Is that true?

12. zy

i'm not sure if automatic cars will use petrol when we let the car roll in D :think:
    old carburator models do use if not mistaken but not sure bout fuel injection cars :think:

but seriously i dont like having it in Neutral when going down hill .. :roll:
    because you have to use the brakes more often

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Anticipate traffic ahead. :cool:
    A driver can reduce fuel consumption by up to 10% by anticipating traffic conditions ahead and adjusting the speed accordingly, and avoiding tailgating and thus unnecessary braking and acceleration.

:roll:

That one works well. :)

14. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Years ago I read an article on this. Newer, more fuel efficient aerodynamic designs of automobile shapes create less drag (friction) while moving through air. Regardless, a load on the engine is created from either running the A/C (a mechanical compressor) OR the resistive forces created by pushing the car through air. In order maximize efficiency one would think that turning off A/C is the thing to do. Well, it is and isn't! :?

Depending on the auto shape and dynamics properties (each vehicle has unique drag characteristics) there is a point where the engine load from using A/C becomes so small compared to that of drag from aerodynamics. When you turn off the A/C the engine has to do less work, however you get HOT :wall: . So we open our windows to cool off. The problem is.... when you open your windows you have altered the dynamics of the vehicle and in some cases it is like opening a parachute in terms of drag.

So, open windows at low speeds and A/C at higher speeds?
    :think:

You would really have to test each individual auto to determine this relationship or "breakpoint" to see when efficiency is maximized and passengers are comfortable.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

All cars regardless of transmission type consumes petrol when the gas peddle is fully depressed because the engine requires a minimum amount of fuel to keep the crank running however it would be a different story if you were directly comparing to which transmission type consumes less petrol than the other.

On another note, it's extremely dangerous when cruising downhill in neutral because should your brakes fail, engine retardation will take place with the aid of a lower gear ratio thus helping you slow down the car.

1 person likes this.
  16. zy

so actually using the engine to slow down the car consumes petrol too ..

ooo .. ic ..

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I normally coast downhill by shifting my car into neutral or hold down the clutch. That should reduce fuel consumption better, right?

18. zachig

zachig Newbie

I don't know if it saves petrol that much :think:

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Up to a certain extent, yes your car should travel slightly further with your clutch fully depressed because there's no retardation effect from your engine if we exclude road and air friction from the equation. Another thing, never ever keep your clutch fully depressed for a long period of time because you'll end up burning them and wearing them out even faster so basically, the clutch should only be there for you to engage/disengage from gears.

1 person likes this.
  20. Adrian Wong

Haha! That's what I just learned recently!! :mrgreen:

Damn, I've often kept the clutch down because I like to speed and coast. :haha: