12 Tips To Save Petrol!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 18, 2005.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

sometimes i shift to neutral when approaching a red traffic light .. :p

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahh.. Me too! :mrgreen:

I love to coast. :haha:

3. zachig

zachig Newbie

Yeah, coasting is sometimes fun. :mrgreen:

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nope.. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Not for auto gear car, it will spoil the gear box :naughty:

6. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

When I was driving a manual car, my coasting used to freak my mom out. :think: :cool:

7. zy

anyone shifted from D to R before ? :mrgreen: .. i did .. tires screeched .. :mrgreen: when slowing down to a traffic light

:roll: actually i shifted from 3 to R .. (wanted to shift to N)

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

jeez..i envy those who knows how to drive manual.. :shifty:

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

FYI: In general, manual transmission autos are more efficient that the same model with auto transmission. An automatic trans is basically a glorified hydraulic pump doing the work of one's feet and hands. The effort of shifting and pushing clutch and human smartness (i.e. coasting to red light or down hill) saves petrol. Automatic trans makes it's shifting decisions based on fluid pressures, speed, and sometimes even throttle position. :eh:

1 person likes this.
  10. zachig

zachig Newbie

Hillarlious!!! :haha:

11. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Wow! I am suprised that it did not break it. I remember a friend would rev engine in N and then slam into D to create screech. Finally broke the driveshaft. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

12. Adrian Wong

I don't think you can coast with an automatic transmission car. Can you?? :think:

13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Yes you may ..... BUT .... it is not good for auto trans to be put into drive gear while vehicle is moving along, you risk damage to the torque converter. It is OK to use Neutral to coast, but only re-engage to Drive when car has stopped.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Man you really dun love your car huh? :haha: Suprised it didn't spit stuff out of under the car. :think:

15. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

heh im 16 years old ive finish all driving tests and that sort but dont have enough money for
    a- Car
    b- Insurance....

Well actually i only have to pay 25% but i still dont have enough money.... I have to get a car that will last and my limit of spending is 10k so i could get a pretty good used car for that. (I only have to pay for gas WOOT This article will mean a lot to me in about 5-6 months...)

16. zy

somehow .. the Plotong Waja is pretty solid in certain ways ..

i overheated the engine once .. (radiator went dead dry & the engine couldnt start) ... no major repairs.. just refill the radiator.. :shifty:

but the overall quality of the car is POS .. my right power window is not working now :wall: . my alarm got screwed up :wall:

17. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, that's true - you can use Neutral to coast. Argghhh.. I just did that to an automatic transmission car a few days ago! :doh:

18. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

OK, a few things:
    1. For the most part, the amount of petrol (gas to the Yanks on the forums :D) consumed by your car is directly related to the position of your right foot :p. If you allow the car to coast in gear with your foot off the throttle, it should consume no more petrol than if you were coasting it in neutral (also with your foot off the pedal, of course). In most modern cars there are many other factors that affect how much fuel goes into the engine besides the accelerator, such as temperature, accessories powered and even the state of health of the engine, but these factors pale in comparison to your lead shoes.
    [Note: It just occurred to me that some engines might not appreciate running lean if you let off the accelerator. I think in some cars the ECU might pump a little extra fuel into the system when you lift off the accelerator and coast in gear...I would imagine this would be just momentary though, and I think the ignition timing would be retarded in this situation - if you have electronically-controlled ignition]
    2. Wear on the friction material of the clutch and flywheel of the engine occurs when there is slip. Believe me when I say I know about slip (just got the clutch in my car replaced a few weeks ago...it was worn down to the rivets!)! If the clutch pedal is fully depressed the friction material does not come into contact with the flywheel and there is no wear. However, if the clutch pedal is partially depressed (many people, for some unknown reason, like to rest their left legs on the clutch pedal) to the point where a small amount of slip occurs, severe wear can result. The same goes for people who like resting their feet on the brake pedal while driving - don't!!
    3. If your car has an automatic transmission, it will probably (just like Ishtim said) consume more fuel than an equivalent model with a manual transmission. The torque converters in automatics are somewhat inefficient and you do loose some torque there. Most moden automatics (especially computer-controlled ones) however, have lockup torque converters that lock the torque converter to prevent the inherent slip in the system. Once the converter locks up it's efficiency goes up quite a bit. You can often tell if your car has a lockup converter by paying some attention to the tachometer at crusing speeds. You will likely see a drop in engine RPM after crusing at highway speeds for a moment - this is an indication that the converter is locked. It unlocks when you slow down or accelerate.

The first tip about keeping your tyre pressures in check is one of the easiest ones to do and will keep your car handling and braking like it should. I keep fuel consumption data for any car I drive long-term and the difference between a car on badly under-inflated tyres and properly inflated ones is quite noticeable. Make sure you don't overinflate your tyres though...that could lead you to a sticky end on a rainy day - overinflated tyres are more prone to hydroplaning!

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Which reminds me that I need more air in meh tires... :think:

Even more so with the retarded gas prices right now.... :|

Lead shoes are teh sh1t... :haha: I haven't seen AAY put them on in a while (since gas prices got even more retarded lately... :p ) :haha:

20. Adrian Wong

Eh, is that really true? Because if I don't coast in neutral or with the clutch engaged, I can still see the engine running at a high RPM (depending on how fast I'm coasting). The second I depress the clutch completely or shift into neutral, the engine merely idles. There's also an audible reduction in engine noise. :think:

Really??? If so, that would be a great relief!! :mrgreen:

So, I can still continue with my habit of coasting with the clutch pedal fully depressed?? :pray:

Hmm.. The lower fuel consumption is one of the reasons why I still prefer manual transmission. :think:

Hmm.. If my tyres are rated at 30 PSI, what pressure should I keep them at? Most mechanics recommend about 20 PSI for a smooth ride. :think: