1TB External HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lee_what2004, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

in market for 3.5'' external hdd now since my dvd starts to fail me :wall:
    budget wise should be around MYR 400 but can strecth to MYR 450 or even :mrgreen:
    usb connection should be enough.

the point that I would really stress is the adaptor, if possible, no brick adaptor, at least not big one.
    Not that I'd bring it to anywhere, but when I do, I'd prefer its little more portable. I don't have that much space left on my backpack.
    Hate messy table + hate dragging a lot of adaptor :lol:
    but then I'll need 1TB to store all my dvd before its too late.

considering WD MyBook Essential Edition but I'm concern about the AC Adapter,
    is it similiar with the notebook adapter one or is it like bulky handphone charger, as what I saw from some review in the internet :think:
    If its like the charger, this would be my top choice.
    But then I guess malaysian version and the US would be different, still I'm not sure.

another choice would be buying one hdd and sarotech enclosure since its adaptor is integrated with the enclosure, only need to plug power cable.
    Yeah, if anything went wrong, I'll have to replace the whole enclosure, but that's the risk I'm willing to take.

As for price for both, shouldn't be far apart, so in this matter, its not really matter that much.
    durability.... based on luck I guess :haha:
    or is there other choice?​

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Myabe you can consider 500GB 2.5" if you are worried about the adapter.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, well..get those Ext hdd that comes with enclosure.. since it's around the same price as a Internal HDD without the casing...1tb here is retailing around lets see...Rm355...with casing..while those internal hdd cost around Rm350 :faint:

4. lee_what2004

That might do, but I just afraid it will be full in no time. Can't affort second drive in near time :lol:
    which model is that?

5. Chai

Maxtor is quite cheap.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

yeah, it's maxtor. Those wd books if not mistaken cost above Rm200 o_o'

7. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I'm using a maxtor 1Tb Basic, not to say it has a nice design, everything is pretty basic. But I do like the fact that it does park itself when idle, dunno whether it's a feature but none of my external casing does that. The power adapter is small, about the size of a handphone charger.

But seems people are wary of Seagate/Maxtor product :p

1 person likes this.
  8. lee_what2004

is it like this?

though that's from unboxing of WD MyBook, but some other picture also display brick adaptor.

if maxtor basic's adaptor like that, then I'll go to maxtor.

Attached Files:

9. Falcone

Yeah mine is about that size, maybe abit smaller.

10. lee_what2004

ok, smaller, nice :)

can it stand or have to lie down?

11. Falcone

Well yeah it can stand, but the package doesn't come with a holder so not that stable.

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

WD My Book Essential is not a brick adapter. Only the dual drive version is a brick adapter cost the need of extra current. If you scared filling up your drive too soon, go for a 2TB version. Go check it out. Btw, is not the casing that park itself during idling, it's the drive.

13. lee_what2004

Is the adaptor same with the picture above?

After searching all the store I know, the only maxtor basic I could find is 500GB version :mad: , looks like I'll go with MyBook Essential.

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Such a big capacity HDD, i'm afraid you don't have much choice but to settle for one which is big and comes with brick adapter

I would suggest WD My book at RM450-490, comes with esata, firewire and USB interface

15. Chai

You mean only the external HDD models have such feature?

16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

No all drive has these feature. MyBook Essential however would detect the present of USD power. When a PC is shutdown or unplug, it would automatic goes to standby. SmartPower we call it?

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

USB you mean :haha: wow, i would like that drive that detects usd xD

18. Chai

Oh, I thought there's power saving when the drive is not in used to some time, not by detecting the presence of the USB power.

19. lee_what2004

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue