2000W psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

hmm... i shall research more on that..
    but i think most ppl have power supplies with rails more than enough to handle the load

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's not only the rails. The cable itself may not be able to handle so much load. I have overheated a cable trying to power up a peltier before, LOL!

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

u haven tell me wad's ur card?

cable overheating is extremely rare these days...

4. Chai

My card? It's not mine. Nvidia used to give that connector with the 6800 Ultra PCI-Express.

Cable overheating is rare, that's what Nvidia is trying to avoid. Dumb people can use cheap PSU and do stupid things. :mrgreen:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

yeah, had very bad experience wif a cheap icute psu...
    it put a chip on my hdd on fire & then it exploded by itself

since then, i NEVER bought another icute product again, not even their casing

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I never liked anything from ICute... until Chai bought me some 120mm fans from ICute :haha:

The 1st thing from ICute that actually made me thumbs up :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Every power cable can only withstand a certain load before it melts and start a fire. This is a bigger problem with cheap cables that are officially rated for a certain load but in truth, cannot handle the load for extended periods of time.

To play safe, it's better to split the load up by using two or more cables. If the card requires 16A of 12V power, instead of using a single cable that supports 16A, it's safer to use two cables.

This way, the load on each cable is only 8A, with a large safety margin. So, even if the cable is sub-standard in quality, 8A of current is unlikely to melt it and cause problems.

9. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

so u are saying that the psu will automatically balance the load between 2 rails?

10. Chai

That's another problem. How can we tell which cable is running on which rail...

So for me, the only purpose is to split the cable load.

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think they just split the load automatically. :think:

12. ianho

ianho Newbie

No1 noticed the brand of the 2000W PSU in the picture of 1st post? Coming from Ultra, I seriously doubt it even does 1000W continuous @ 50C.

13. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Somehow the brand Ultra and the term Good PSU doesn't seem to go together well. But I'd be willing to give them the benefit of doubt if someone can test it properly and find out how's the ripple

14. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Why do we need so many cables? Simple. Because the 16/18 AWG just can't handle as many Amperes as we would like it to. Many people believe that graphics card needing 2 connectors is because they need more power from the other sections of the power supply unit. The answer is that those cables are just current dividers, remember boys and girls, if the cable doubles, the persistent resistance to the same amount voltage and current halve due to Kirchoff's Current law IIRC.

Oh yah. Before i forget, the only thing that affects a cable is amperes or current, voltage can't because of the relationship between voltage and electromotive force rather than power (although if the voltage goes high enough, it'll slice through the dielectric, heck even air)