4 Gb Ram on win xp pro or...???

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by ussff, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ussff

ussff Newbie

So I've built my budget gaming machine.... its an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI skt 939, with an Athlon x2 4800+ @ 2.6ghz with 4Gb of OCZ Ram low latancy RAMand 2x 9600XXX in SLI - runs Fear2 at max :lol: thankfully at a much better price than your average gaming pc... either way I like building these things for fun and sque.....eezing them to a point... question;

I've loaded the PC with 4Gb of DDR Ram (maxing the OS and most softwear on the market atm) XP pro see's 3 of the 4Gb and I'm cooking on gas... But I'm keen on trying 64-Bit processing and games such as FEAR2 claim to be 64-bit enhanced - I know that Vista is High on RAM as a basic overhead and I'm currently, with all my tweaks at 486Mb before loading a game, so have 2.5Gb spare of my 3Gb that Win XP Pro can see to play with FEAR2. Should I move to a 64 Bit system to see a gain?

XP is not DX10, so I'm tempted to move to Vista64 or WIN7 And live with the RAM that it eats to see the 64 bit / dual core gain, that XP lacks now and try Vista64 or Windows 7 to help future proof and improve my gaming Rig?

let me know what you think... :whistle:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Not really, 64bit=4GB+ of memory but the program has to be designed to make use of x64 instructions to see any improvement. But overall, yes, you now have drivers and quite many applications and a few games who are slightly faster when using x64.
    Also, forget Vista get W7.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I would say go for 64bit Windows 7, and you will reap out the benefits of 64bit computing

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, if you are using 4 GB or more memory, get a 64-bit OS. It doesn't matter which you prefer. You should see a noticeable improvement in performance migrating to a 64-bit OS if you run memory-intensive applications or games.

If you can wait for Windows 7 (out on Oct. 22) then wait for it. It is faster and more stable than Windows Vista.