6800gt or x800pro.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by orangutan, Dec 15, 2004.

1. orangutan

orangutan Newbie

Now holiday in Hong Kong, saw 2 cards i liked Inno3d 6800gt and Grandmars x800pro ,both retailing at around RM 1600 .Which one is a better choice ? How does it compare to the BFG 6800gt ? Need to decide fast as coming back to Malaysia soon

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, the 6800 GT would be a better choice.

But isn't RM 1600 a bit expensive for a 6800 GT? :think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's not that expensive considering that 6800GT is selling at RM1800 here.

4. yeah, the gt would be a better deal. the new gen cards from ati suck...

5. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

most people will go for 6800gt. I think both perform equally well. I will go for 6800gt because it has better technologies in it.

6. such as shader 3? even though no games use that now, it'll help for the future, eh?
    also ive never heard of "grandmars"

7. Chai

Farcry supports Shader 3. :p

8. BoBaTrOn

BoBaTrOn Newbie

Definatly go with the 6800GT. The onyl game at the moment that its beaten in is HL2 single player and that is by a few FPS. Id take a 6800GT over a Pro anyday. Btw whats RM? What kind of currency is that?

9. it's "their" currency. like the japanese yen, chinese dollar, aussie dollar, and the us dollar!! lol

yes, for that price range, 6800gt wins hands down with the price/performance ratio

10. orangutan

orangutan Newbie

Grandmars must be the biggest name in Hong Kong as i saw them in every pc outlet. A big range too from nvidia to ati cards, other brand i saw were HIS, Inno3d but No BFG ! I just read ati just release x800xL, should i wait ?

11. envy

envy Newbie

Early previews of the X800XL seems to peg the performance between a 6800GT and a X800 Pro (except in Doom 3 which the nVidia cards trump of course), but the X800XL seems to be better than the X800 Pro with AF and AA on. There's a preview on Hardocp that I just happened to be reading.

Guess it really boils down to which card/driver you prefer, and whether it is available. BTW, the X800XL is PCI-E, if I'm not mistaken.

12. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

SAW the review as well. HOwever, 6800gt is already available while x800xL is not. So if you would to buy it now, go for 6800gt.

13. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

Would that be the BFG card with the stripped-down bundle?

Is it still more expensive than overseas? :confused:

14. Chai

ATI is getting very desperate trying to get back the market share...

Reminds me of Nvidia not too long ago! :haha:

15. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

Hm. That didn't exactly answer my question...

Anyway orangutan, why don't you list down what comes in both packages, try to find out the cheapest prices you can get the same cards for here, and make a decision based on that? :thumb:

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

RM stands for Ringgit Malaysia, which is our currency.

It's pegged to the US dollar at a fixed rate of USD 1 : RM 3.8.

17. Brian

Brian Newbie

the problem with the x800XL is............where is the PCI-e to AGP bridge?
    i still remember reading other forums where fanboys accused nvidia's HSI(iirc) bridge to drop performance bla bla bla

18. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

i choose 6800gt. buy 6800gt.

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

20. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

most places show that bridged does not hinder that much peformance. Truthfully, i think geforce 6800gt is the one to go given that it's available and better feature. I know ATI might have performance based on benchmark but it's not avail yet and when it's out, it maybe a tad more expensive than nvidia.