7mm slim 1TB HDD

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by atwl77, Dec 4, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I'm seeing this available online at Amazon, etc, so I wonder if they are now easily available locally (e.g. if I go walk into any computer store this weekend)?

Or, if they can be extracted from external slim drives. Most of them now seem to use their own proprietary interface (I opened up a WD Passport unit before), but maybe there are some brands that retain the original SATA connector?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I believe 7mm hard disks are very common now.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm not sure if they are commonly sold retail, but they are common because of the emphasis on ultrathin notebooks, e.g. Ultrabooks.

Why do you want a 7mm HDD?

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

To upgrade my Thinkpad X230.

5. Chai

I thought it is pretty standard now? Even non Ultrabooks are using 7mm. Standardise the inventory is common.

6. Adrian Wong

Is the Thinkpad X230 using 7mm HDDs? If not, then the regular 9.5 mm HDDs would fit. They are cheaper too. Heck, throw in an SSD! :D

7. Adrian Wong

I'm not sure if they are using 7 mm HDDs in standard notebooks, but AFAIK, 7 mm HDDs are more expensive than regular 9.5 mm HDDs. In any case, manufacturers may standardise their inventory, as you said, but supply may be different for the retail market.

The last time I went hunting for hardware, I don't recall seeing any 7mm HDDs, but then again, I was really looking at the RAM! :shifty:

8. Chai

I have tons of new wd blue 500gb with 7mm. and yes thinkpad x230 is using 7mm.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the trend is to go slimmer. They even have 5 mm drives now.

10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

500GB and below have been available for quite some time already, it's the 1TB that I recently noticed on Amazon.

But anyways, I went to my usual shop last Saturday but my usual go-to guy wasn't around so I didn't stop by to ask. Maybe next weekend...

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the 1 TB is a more recent model. It used to be 9.5mm only.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm so I went to ask my regular dealer today and he said no one has been importing these in, although they're already widely available elsewhere (Amazon, etc).

13. Chai

Time to get 1TB SSD... haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

14. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm price seems to have dropped a bit the last time I checked..... but then again even at $500-600 for a 1TB SSD I'd rather go buy a lens or a new pair of headphones instead.

15. Chai

Wow... another pair of headphones?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. Adrian Wong

Well, once you go SSD, you can never go back to HDD. :haha:

I've just converted my laptop to boot from an SSD with a HDD as a secondary drive, replacing the DVD writer. The SSD was probably the best upgrade I've had, with the 16 GB of RAM coming in second place.

17. Chai

Yeah, definitely agree with that. I would get SSD over headphones first. Anyone can feel the difference with an SSD, not so much with better headphones, especially with what you already have...