850MHz-1074MHz-bios shutdown

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by luqman, Jan 5, 2006.

1. luqman

luqman Newbie

so i went to my BIOS setup screen and my cpu was running at 850MHz and there was an option for running it @ 1074MHz nd when i selected that the computer restarted and my moouse,keyboard,monitor,nd evry prepheral was off only the harddrive was running and the internal componets. so i took the CMOS chip and then flashed it then evrything was normal again! how come the bios shuts down at speeds excceding over 850MHz :think:

tell me wat u think :thumb:

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

perhaps your processor couldn't go that high.. and your RAM couldn't cope with the speed.. too much heat? :whistle:

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i think the story was made up.........

" i took the CMOS chip and then flashed it" <=-- LOLed.

part of me wants to help you, but part of me is doubtful of your post.

normally people would just reset CMOS by changing jumpers. why did you not do that?

4. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

why u overclock ur processor? give me 50 reasons :drool: :drool: :drool:

:thumb: :thumb:

5. SilentBotts

SilentBotts Newbie

Its nothing with the bios, its the proccessor, for whatever reason the CPU wont run at that speed, so it fails at start-up, bios doesn't detect a CPU, and it doesn't POST.

Same thing happens when you try to clock a 3200 xp venice core to 3ghz on stock voltage.

6. luqman

luqman Newbie

mybe u just don't understand my problem! flashing the cmos chip is taking the battery and then putting it back in its place :mrgreen: once u do that all the setting for the BIOS will be erased :thumb:

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

LOL. should've phrased in better.

anyway for your case - hardware limitation.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, that's not flashing the BIOS. You were just taking out the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS. You can actually do it with the Clear CMOS jumper.

9. luqman

luqman Newbie

but see i hate working with jumpers! i lost my motherboard manual so i don't know which one it is!!! the are so confusing :shock: i go crazy with jumpers :nuts: anyways the bios is back to normal now

10. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

For future reference, the procedure you described is better known as clearing the CMOS NVRAM. Flashing the BIOS is an entirely different issue, involving a different type of memory and different procedures. :)

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. The reason why all motherboards come with a Clear CMOS jumper is because it's much easier to clear the BIOS using that jumper instead of pulling out the battery. :mrgreen: