8600GT/GTS specs revealed

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by neverthar, Mar 14, 2007.

1. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Too lazy to copypasta everything but here's the gist of it

http://dailytech.com/NVIDIA+GeForce+8600Series+Details+Unveiled/article6477.htm

GTS pictars: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/4149_large_GeForce8600GTS.jpg

GT pictars: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/4150_large_GeForce8600GT.jpg

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. The core clocks seem to be rather high. :think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

8800GTS is quite cheap already. I wonder how cheap 8600GTS is going to be.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

wah something above RM 1k you still say cheap. :)

i'm planning to upgrade my 6800 Ultra to 7900GS only. :p

5. Chai

For a highend DX10 card, 95% of the 8800GTX, for RM1100, I think it's really cheap. It's so powerful it should last you at least 2 generations.

6. Adrian Wong

I would still prefer to go for a mid-range card. Well, not like my system can actually make full use of a 8800 GTS. :mrgreen:

7. Chai

If you don't have a fast system, you are more unlikely not to buy 8800GTS. :p

Trust me, 8800 is more than just the speed. Excellent AF quality, higher than 4xAA.

8. Adrian Wong

Well, for me, it's economics. :mrgreen:

New GPUs come up so fast that it makes investing in expensive cards.. well, a REALLY, really expensive hobby. :mrgreen:

9. Chai

The really expensive cards are 8800GTX. :p Double the price, but only 5% increase in performance. While the money you pay for 8600 and 8800GTS is quite linear in terms of price and performance.

It's not like I'm playing a lot of games. But if I do, I would definitely buy one.

10. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

But to be honest, pricing it in the USD250/= region for what is basically a clocked up 8600 core isn't what would one consider worth the money spent when for a few extra bucks, one could posibbly get an 8900GS coming soon which while is still a cut down G80 core, is still a better choice with Unified Shaders and all.

11. Chai

TBH, I don't know how are they going to market this 8600GTS.

It's faster than 7950GT, while 8800GTS 320MB isn't that much faster in some situation. And the price difference between the two is like RM200. So 8600GTS is probably going to cost RM800-900 retail. The only advantage 8600GTS has over 7950GT is DX10 support, which is useless when most of us are still using XP. :haha:

12. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Faster in what sense we must ask ourselves. Is it in terms of clock speeds? FPS? or Benchmark numbers?. DX10.1 support is one issue that will come into perspective in a year or two which is undeniable for gamers. The other is that faster is not necessary better. NVIDIA did not overhaul the archetecture for G80 compared to G70 for no reason. Unified Shaders will become the way to go due to the fact games from now on will be more intensive in terms of mathematical and physics processing. ATi/AMD had already led the way by introducing R520 which is by far the only GPU which is able to crunch numbers for F@H. Although that seems irrelevant now, physics modelling will become more and more required as gamers will demand more realism then ever in terms of effects and all. In fact it reminds me of the DX8/DX9 argument back then. My only hope for GPU's now is that after they transition to 65nm die sizes, they would be following the current trend of lower consumption of energy as we all can see, less does mean more. So at the current stage, GPU development is being an anti-thesis of the industry's direction

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

GTS 320MB is the card to get. value for monehhhhh..
    8800gts 320mb FTW!

nv has never released such good value/performance high-end cards for years. in fact...can't recall any of such card.

14. Chai

8800GTS 320MB is indeed the most value for money card you can buy today. Unless you are playing 1920x1200 4xAA, it should be as fast as a normal 8800GTS 640MB in most scenarios and pay 75% or lower.

The most interesting feature to me is improved AF and inclusive of true 8xMSAA without needing SLI. The others? I will wait till DX10 is shown on my screen.

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Since this thread is all about 8600, let me ask something here,

Does it come with the PPU? I want a Physics built in there! If it is so, I gonna buy it! The DDR2 version costs RM390 and maybe it's a good buy.

And how does an 8600GT compared to, a 7900? Or a 7600? :haha:

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

8600GTS is slightly faster than 7800GT...should give you a pointer on 8600GT's performance..

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

How about the PPU? I know the PPU exist in the 8800, where the Ghost Recon game pasted ALL over the box, but how about the 8600? Does these 8600 have the PPU as well? :D

18. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

the 8500 series looks attractive but looking at the bandwidth, even my 6800 Ultra still beat it.

8600GT or whatever is about RM 700 - 1000 range, so it's off-limits. hrmmm....

19. Adrian Wong

All 8xxx series GPUs use unified shader technology, with stream processors instead of dedicated vertex or pixel shaders. These stream processor also support physics processing, when games actually support them on the GPU.

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

OT: I've been wondering all the while, wtf is FTW? :think: