8800GTS G92!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Chai, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

fapfap crossfire?

Coz in all honesty, the way I see it, 3870 in CF is only like 50 bucks more (lanes aside). :o

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'll still stick to 8800GT after seeing the benchmarks. :mrgreen: GTS is nearly RM1.2k range. Now, I wish I'm a Chai or a PsY. :(

4. Chai

That 8800GT is the overclocked version, which will be a bit more expensive.

8800GTS should overclock better, up to 700+ core, but I think increasing the shader clock should improve performance more. Now I'm not sure which one to get.

3870 CF is not such an elegant solution as well. It's barely faster than 8800GTX is many situation.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The 3850 Crossfire is just a tad bit faster then a 8800GTX (single of course).

But again depends on apps I guess.

3870 is higher then 3850.

I found some 3870 CF vs 8800GT SLI

Expreview.com - Extra Hardware News Report! » Blog Archive » [Comparison]HD 3870 Crossfire vs 8800GT SLI

The thing with CFing is that its less then 100 USD more then the MSRP for the GTS.

I still say its a viable option especially when a GTS can't quite 'cut it'.

However other considerations is drivers (CCC ftw lmao) that aren't all too good for now.

But... I wouldn't put it past the G92 8800GTS to OC like a mofo so that would still be my prime choice.... For now...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  6. Chai

You should not discount the fact that P35 will not give that kind of performance too. So GTS is still a viable choice IMO.

But TBH, I'm not that impressed with GTS. I will have to wait for more reviews.

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

why would you hold an expectation on this card in the first place? what is there to be disappointed about? you knew it was going to be GeForce 8 derivative..so..

crysis is the new CoD2, it needs next gen card, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to make it as well because nv and ati are more interested in selling dual gpus on a single PCB than sticking with their previous GPU development strategy..

bah, go play CoD4 better.

P35 can give you "that kind of performance". it's just a matter of which P35 board do u own.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  8. Chai

Only one board can give that kind of performance, so it doesn't matter to most of us.

True, there's not much to expect, but it's such a tiny difference between 8800GT OC and GTS.

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I never said the GTS is not a good choice (in fact I said its my prime choice still).

I'm not going to dismiss the 3870 in CF right off the bat because it does deliver and if I can get them for 220 a piece (some places), relatively small price differential makes it even more so.

10. Chai

GTS is one MOFO hot mama! I can barely overclock to 700Mhz core! My case does not have the best ventilation, the exhaust is blowing tons of hot air at max fan speed! MCW60!!! FAPRAWRFAP!

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

The GTS I really am not impressed with either and didn't know it ran so hot Chai perhaps thats why Arctic Cooling included it in the rev 2 for the Accelero S1 cooler. The GTX by most manufacturers already has excellent cooling.

I would buy an 8800GT before being given a 8800GTS. In fact on the S1 rev2 I would honestly rather mod 2 HD3850's than 1 8800GTS :D

12. Chai

GTS impresses me alot more when you start to overclock it. With sufficient cooling, it's not difficult to reach 800+Mhz core. My ambient temp is hot, and GTS has much better cooling solution than GT, changing cooler on GTS is not necessary unlike GT.

Honestly, going SLI/Crossfire is my last resort. It's very poorly implemented, yielding less than 50% for most games. Very poor efficiency.

Well, if you look at my first post, I wasn't very impressed either. But I wasn't going to spend $500+ on a 1 year old card just to play some games. GTS is the best compromise for me.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  13. Mac Daddy

Chai hear ya on ambient and ran into that even here on a modded x1950 the backside of the card runs hot. Some nice backside coolers available for the 8800 series. On the 8800GT and GTS will see here and let my friend conclude his results.

On CrossfireX we have a member running 2 x HD3870 (stock cooling) scoring 60k in 3dmark3 with Q6600 ... so lets see what the new year brings I know your not a fan of dual cards :D

14. Chai

Backside coolers? Only Thermalright has it?

I don't really care what 3dmark scores if can make, I just want to enjoy my games. :haha:

15. Mac Daddy

Hee hee and right on Thermalright (For now) .... on 3dmark just a reference to see whether changes improve or hamper performance on games.

:mrgreen:

16. Chai

You mean there are other manufacturers coming them?

Hmm...true, but I could just run a benchmark from a game though.

17. Mac Daddy

On other manufacturers I hope so Chai I think its one thing that is to often overlooked. If you had a decent backside cooler it would help even with your restricted air flow.

On benchmarks doesn't matter what you run as long as you have a way to test changes. I like 3dmark3 for this because it doesn't take long to run and is more purely graphics related that the newer ones :)

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

COOL IT!!! Turn on the air-conditioner! :twisted:

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, the GeForce 8800 GTS is really more overclockable. We suspect the GPU is overvolted, hence the better overclockability and higher temperatures.

20. Chai

GTS is definitely overvolted.