8800GTX pics

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by PowerSlide, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If they follow their tradition, they should have a smaller die for the budget or midrange verison.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nope, but they could be. I don't think 80nm will have much effect on the die size. If they want any real tangible benefit, might as well go straight to 65nm.

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

90nm to 80nm isn;t really a 'real' shrink. nv doesn't have to redesign anything, they can stick with whatever they have but going to 65nm is another story altogether, and NV was very afraid of ATI's R600, they needed to get the G80 out fast and couldn't afford to spend more time and take unnecessary risks producing something smaller. even if they could use 65nm tech, i guess it wouldn't make much differences as 8800gtx is a high-end product. very niche market

4. Adrian Wong

Yup, but it would reduce the size and cost of each chip, as well as increase yield. But I see 65nm as making the upcoming mainstream 8-series GPUs more affordable.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

like i said, 8800gtx is a 'top-of-the-line' product. size and cost of each chip doesn't make any significant differences. they have already invested 400million for the development of the g80 chip. the branding and market leadership (not to mention..er.."awards!!") won by the 8800gtx (by scarifying high profit margin) is a pretty good investment i guess.

6. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

Haven't you noticed how every generation or so they keep raising the ranges, with or without fab. upgrades? With just about the only exception being that 1900XT drop, each time they keep raising the bar. Not so long ago the highest end was at 3-400$. Now they're up to 500-600 or even 700-800... (CDN here of course :)

7. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Please someone give ur Credit Card info.I promise u, I won't buy more than 2 8800 GTX cards from ur money.

8. MeRaH

MeRaH Newbie

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist. :p

9. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!!!! :haha: :haha:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

dmn .. that bird looks scary ...

11. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie