9600GT or 3870

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by PowerSlide, Feb 29, 2008.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

assume that 3870 has dropped to around RM6XX for we folks at malaysia

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm about to test both cards. I will let you know once I tested them. :beer:

3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

IIRC performance-wise they edge each other. 9600GT has lower power consumption, but HD3870 has better HD decoding. :think:

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Cool we are testing 9600gt vs 3850 512 ddr4 will keep you posted as well :thumb:

5. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

j00 have a review site? :think:

6. 64bit

64bit Newbie

Finally a review between 2 latest mid range cards!!

Do anyone noticed that nVidia took a quiet approach to launch 9600? And strangely they deicided to launch a mid-range card first instead of a high end card first. Even its offcial website has no information on the 9 series cards.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

8. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

X > G, get 9600XT for better performance.

(Kidding :haha: )

9. Mac Daddy

NGOHQ we have a Powercooler HD3850 that was reviewed last November and I am told Rege will have a 9600gt soon :)

Looking forward to seeing the review here as well :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Oh, awesome :thumb:

Yeah, I noticed the same. I'm guessing because the stock of 9600GTs are low?

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Logically, there's no reason for NVIDIA to cheat. :think:

I may be missing the point here but it looks like the only one to benefit would be the graphics card manufacturer employing the trick to make their cards look faster than the competitor, even at the same "clock speed". :think:

14. Mac Daddy

They have done it more than once including in 2003 when I visited ATI. Terry and Chris were not impressed :D

They suck at taking legal action on boards that don't fall under international law too :haha:

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

actually it happens to one of my XFX geforce 8800 gtx sample as well.
    nothing much to get mad la, really.

probably related to how the clock generator and clock multiplier/divider work i supposed. the G80 (and G92) has a few frequency configurations running on the same die (shader, core..etc). perhaps 1mhz step increment just isn't possible.

IMO, another "oh! AMD is lying about its K8 memory frequency" case.

17. Adrian Wong

To be honest, I don't see this being a problem for cards running at stock. The GeForce 9600 GT officially runs at 650 MHz core.

Whether the driver reports it as 650 MHz or 700 MHz really isn't important. What's important is how fast it is in the games we play.

Graphics card manufacturers have been selling cards with overclocked cores, so it doesn't make sense for them to lie about it, unless they just want to prove that their cards are "faster" than their competitors at the same clock speeds. :think:

Of course, if it's NVIDIA's fault (with the driver), then all we can say is their engineers do not know how to multiply! :haha: :haha:

18. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I would go for the 9600GT.

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

so its not a big deal afterall

looks like u guys recommend 96gt all the way..im gona wait for 3870 price drop to think which card to buy :thumb:

20. Mac Daddy

We should have some numbers up on the 9600gt soon bro and so will Adrian by the sounds of it so you can compare :D