9600GT to Quadro FX5800

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by carlmart, Jan 14, 2010.

1. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

OK. Today I made up my mind to give the softmod a try.

First I identified my board as being G94 and other specs with Techpowerup.

Then checked on Techarp's Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide, and found the 9600GT specs are being similar to the Quadro FX5800.

Then I run RivaTuner.

First problem: the screens are different from those on Step 2 of "NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide Rev. 4.1".

Second problem: When it opens the screen and I pick the "Low-level system settings", as instructed, I do not get a "NVStrap" tab. I only get a "Fan" tab, and I can't go further and simulate the Quadro.

What does that mean? That the 9600GT can't be softmodded?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I think it is highly dependent on the OS. I heard it only works in XP.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

And the driver too. If the driver version isn't supported by RivaTuner, it cannot be modded. :(

4. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

I am running XP SP3, not Vista or W7.

Maybe is the driver, which is not the latest. Where can I see what drivers are supported by Rivatuner?

5. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

Latest news.

Situation with Rivatuner after changing Nvidia driver remains the same. Maybe it's the board, maybe it's the driver, but it doesn't seem to be able to simulate Quadro by soft in my case.

I might go for the latest driver, but this might affect what I already got.

The good news is that after installing driver 174.93 I could get back what I was looking on Avid: full screen playback.

So I better leave things there.

In any case, if anyone is using a 9600GT where they could run Rivatuner do let me know. And if anyone is looking for a Nvidia driver that will work with Avid on this board, use 174.93.

Let's hope this info is useful to someone.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You should check RivaTuner's revision history to see what driver versions they support.

Generally (but not necessarily), the older the driver, the more likely it is to be supported.