A first time for everything

Discussion in 'Ishtim' started by Ishtim, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

As one grows older "first time" things become more rare and of course more meaningful. Most of you know (or will quickly figure out) that I like to do astronomy stuff. The problem is that there is never enough time in the day (I mean night) to really enjoy it. Either it's cloudy, or I am just too damn tired to stand outside all night pushing the shutter release on my camera. :boohoo:
    Recently, I "paid" myself for doing some odds and ends around the house. My reward was to get a new telescope just for imaging. I ended up getting what I call a "baby scope". It has an apeture of 80mm (3.15in.) and focal length of 600mm (f7.5) APO - "a glorified telephoto lens", that I have mounted "piggy-back" on top of big brother, the 3556mm (14in.) apeture. See pic (not my pic but you should get the idea). ;)
    [​IMG]

After several weeks of cloudy nights, the last weekend in January, I was able to set it up, and open the telescope for its "first light". I spent a good while looking around at things that are familiar before I stuck the old 300D into the eyepiece hole. After some focusing and goofing around I thought I would try my luck at the elusive horse head nebula. I knew about where it was in the sky, I had just never seen it with my own eyes. I scanned the sky over and over but could not see it using the BIG scope so I set the timer and started a 3 minute exposure at ISO 800 ...tic... ...toc... ...tic... ...toc... ...tic... ...toc...
    I downloaded the image to my notebook, and .... nothing!:evil: Again, I hit the shutter..... I could see stars abundant as can be but no horsehead. I checked my star charts, scooted the scope over a bit and tried again. This time I shot 5 consecutive 3 minute exposures. I figured that could post process the images and sum the data by stacking each picture. About a half hour later..... POOF! there it the sneaky little horsehead along with the neighbouring "Flame" nebula. WOOT! I had done it! No it's not a Hubble pic, but I am damn proud of it and thought I would share it with you... I converted it to B&W to help out with the contrast.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

3. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

amazing! i want one!

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:thumb: :thumb: x1000

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What's the focal length of the big one? :shock:

6. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

wow i want that one

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I use a similar software called DSLRFocus. http://http://www.dslrfocus.com/ along with a home made cable that uses the pc's serial port. The USB cable only allows a max 30 sec exposures. With serial or paralell cable exposure time is unlimited. the software also talks to you as exposure time progresses.

The "Big" one's focal length is 3556mm (~140 in.)

8. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Great toy. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Can this see all the lunar modules on the moon?

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

ah. that's even more cool! The only way to get the D70 to 'shutter-lock' is the use the bulb mode with a remote control shutter. haha. :p

But what i love with these software is the time lapse capability! :D