Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLI question

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by ussff, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ussff

ussff Newbie

So its a bit of a blast from the past - but I build budget gaming machines, a generation or two behind the top end to keep costs down.

Just putting together my Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLI package... cant believe I found one for sale - Scan had a couple left over from the jumble sale :pray: so here goes...

First Question. SLI - I have two XFX 9600GSO XXX in SLI and CPUz reports that my PCI-Express Link width is x8 - max supported x16... Now I know the Gfx and mobo will do x16, so have I missed a setting or is the x16 shared, and therefor halved now I have two cards?

Questions get more interesting from here on in... promise :dance:

2. ussff

ussff Newbie

Second; more interestingly... hopefully

ClawHammer FX55 130nm @ 2.6Ghz or ...

Toledo x2 4200+ 90nm @ 2.2ghz....

Which would you OC with water on an SLI rig for gaming?

Both have done +10% on air... my water cooling rig is in the post and I'm wondering which CPU to mount on my Abit AN8 Fatal1t SLI...

My choice was always the FX55 at the higher clock but F.E.A.R.2 has just come out as 64 bit and multicore enhanced, so maybe the software will swing to multicore... feel free to comment... :thumb:

3. ussff

ussff Newbie

...and finally! I'm running XP pro SP3 ...time to go 64bit...

... Both Mobo's are old - well in PC terms anyway. Asus A8N Premium SLI and Abit AN8 SLI Fatal1ty.

AN8 Fatal1ty (SLI; 2x XFX 9600GSO xxx) gaming rig, because I love the Guru Front Panel :roll:

A8N SLI (single gfx... PNY 9600gt 1GB) as my admin, mail and general surf, photo and play tool... :beer:

Both have 4Gb High performance, low latency DDR ram loaded (so I'm not upgrading in the next 12 months after all my ££'s outlay over the last 2 years) - neither of which can see all of the 4GB in xp! :roll: So WinXP 32 takes a dive as one of my machines is now glitching... and its time to upgrade my OS - so do I go XP 64bit - I have ALL the drivers for mobo and GFX on disk, supplied!

OR try ... "shudder" Vista 64... I've tried tracking down Vista64 drivers with reasonable success - but ME lasted 4 hours in my house... Vista is tarred with the same brush.... :haha:

Which leaves Windows7... that needs at least 1 service pack... before its stable :hand: IMHO

I have to buy an OS ...64bit preferably, don't want too, but cant see any other option than VISTA64, as XP64 (even though I have hardware drivers) will be obsolete VERY soon and WIN7 may not supprot my older gear?

Ideas and thoughts?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I remember correctly, the two x16 slots will drop down to x8 if you install two graphics cards. x8 is fast enough. You won't notice any difference.

I would go with the Toledo x2 of course. No doubt.

Vista 64 drivers? Those are very common.

Windows 7 is stable enough, even when it's just the RC build. I don't think you will need to wait for SP1.

In any case, Windows Vista 64-bit works fine for me.

5. ussff

ussff Newbie

I replaced the FX55 with a Toledo 4800+ and its fantastic with a Siberian Tiger water cooler @ 2.6ghz :wave: very stable and cool.... FX55 will be ip for sale shortly... :thumb: