Adventure games.....a lost genre

Discussion in 'Games' started by Falcone, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

No new threads so starting one....hahha

Ok, was reading a preview on LSL (Leisure Suit Larry ), found out a few things. For one thing it's not the same Larry Laffer (damn) but his nephew, second thing is going to be 3D like Grand Theft Auto (damn damn - no offence to GTF fans), third no Al Lowe (damn damn damn).

I dunno how many of you guys were old enuf to play LSL then I personally played a bit of 4, finish 6 and 7, I tell you it was great. And was really anticipating 8 Lust in space untill they canned it (*@#$.)

Anyway back to the thread, reading bout LSL reminds me of all the adventure games I have played (last one being Monkey Island 4).

My personal favorites are the Lucasart Series begining wif Indy and the Last Crusade by which was then refered as Lucas' Flims Games. Followed by the Sierra Series, like police quest, king quest and of course LSL series.

Ok for those who dun have a slightest idea of adventure games, it's a point and click game that involves you going around, picking up stuff and solving puzzles.

2. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

:doh: :?: what game is this? nvr heard of it.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

me too :mrgreen:

4. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

its 4 horny ppl..... dat game made by larry flynt rite???....the hustler magazine owner.... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :beer:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... it was so many years ago when my friends who had pc talking about it. Peaz included. :lol:

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

haha/.... it WAS a very interesting game :D

oh yeah.. some of the classic point and click adventure games I've played before are Full Throttle, LSL series, monkey island 3 and ahem.. even simon the sorcerer !!! :thumb:

oh well, those were the good old days when storyline of the games were more important factor then the cool graphics...

7. Falcone

U miss out one....Grim Fandango!!! Mother of all adventure games...the best.

My god... :doh: new generations of gamers....*sigh. I guess only 3D FPS for u guys, the closest thing u guys ever get to an adventure game is most probably Half Life.

Makes me feel so old......no point mentioning Star Control 2 then...

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Oh.. i had a brief play of Grim Fandango. Not sure why i didn't get it.... Hmmmm oh but it was DAMN FARNEY :D oh yeah.

and star control 2 !!! WOOHOO :D

man.. the nostalgia is killing me!

9. lung

lung Just Started

Well I did played a lot of adventure games in THOSE days... The best? Probably LucasArts' & Steven Spielberg' The Dig.

Actually, I think I played all of the King's Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory (formerly Hero's Quest), Police Quest, ... Funny how most Sierra games have the Quest tagline :lol:

LucasArts' adventure games? Hmm... I remember playing Loom... Then there's the Monkey Island series (never played the 1st game though, so I never got the Root Beer joke :lol:) Oh and Maniac Mansion! Never finished it but had a blast with the sequel (Day of the Tentacle)...

Star Control 2? Was one of the best games I've ever played (I replayed it several times... Great soundtrack, and great ships... I miss the Spathi Eluder...) but I don't think it fits in the adventure games genre... More like RPG IMHO... :)

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh wow! I played the original Star Control and Star Control 2. Fantastic games back in those days. :D

I also played LucasArts' Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango (didn't complete though) and of course, the Tex Murphy series of detective games. :thumb:

11. Falcone

Yup The Dig.....the longgest adventure game I ever played and finished (thanks to Marauder, some of the puzzle were too darn hard to solve).

And yes Star Con 2 is not an adventure games, but it was so fun to play even though I only manage to play a bit (Pc not powerfull enuf only run 8088, think the requirements was 286 and above).

Tex Murphy...only one, in so called '3D' hahaha.....those were the days.

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i think you could consider Star Control 2 an adventure game in the sense it's your quest to save the galaxy from the Ur-Quan / Kohr-Ah. the space combat was really nice, and LOVED the soundtrack!!!

btw if you want a good adventure game, try Syberia. and if you still have, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was really great, alongside with other LucasArts adventure games.

gone were the days, nowadays adventure games have live motion video and fancy graphics but no nice story.

13. Falcone

Syberia....heard it was good how bout the latest installlment? Syberia 2? Fate of Atlantis....was looking high and low for mine....lost it damn.

14. lung

lung Just Started

Speaking of StarCon2... Anyone knows where I can download the soundtrack? :mrgreen:

Syberia is good... I played and finished it. Good for today's standards, but not as fun as yesteryear's adventure games :) Nice storyline, but the story doesn't end there in the first game. That's why they have Syberia 2 :thumb:

Fate of Atlantis? Try looking on those abandonware sites...

One good thing about yesteryear's adventure games is that during that time we do not have the privilege of surfing the Internet for walkthroughs. Most of the games we have to finish by actually thinking out brains out. And lots of phone calls to friends who's playing the same game :thumb:

Oh, yea... Anyone play those MPS (Micropose Labs) adventure games? I can remember DragonSphere (excellent storyline) and Rex Nebular (longer than DragonSphere, some puzzles are TOUGH, kinda have a Larry-like main character, btw... lol)

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Fate of Atlantis? Very hard to find, especially the 'talkie' version...

16. Falcone

hahaha yep. I remeber my first adventure game Indy and the last crusade, took my a year to finish it (after finally found someone that manage to get pass a puzzle)

No such thing as cheat or walkthrough online, best u can hope for is from Intech that time.

I have Fate of Atlantis non talkie version (was playing on my PDA until it 'kong' :cry: ). Looking for the talkie version.

17. Brian

Brian Newbie

guys, tried the longest journey?

18. Chai

Just finished playing Fate of Atlantis! Good game. :thumb:

Next will be Day of The Tentacle, and Sam & Max!

19. lung

lung Just Started

Err... Wut is this 'talkie' version you guys are talking about? :lol:

20. Chai

Talkie version is the CD version, aka with recorded voice version. Lucasart called it 'talkie' version. I didn't make that name up. :p