Advise with sound cards.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Asus has the PCI option, Asus D2, not D2X.

2. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Aye thats why I mentioned the D2. It and the D2X are the pretty much the same card, just one is PCI other is PCIe. Actually Asus was the first to actually make a PCIe sound card after how many years now, go figure.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Haha...you mentioned DX, not D2. :mrgreen:

4. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

DOH! i had had typed originally as I was comparing them in another tab and had put D2X meant to grab the x off it and musta gotten the 2. My bad for not paying closer attention. So I stand corrected sir. Thanks for catching that Chai.

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

In that case, I will look at the D2's specs and features.

6. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Any luck with the Asus cards, will they do what you need?

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Sorry for taking so long, had to take care of some things. Anyway, I checked out all the documentation, but it mostly hints at it DD and DTS decoding to analog. Without confirmation, I won't know for sure. I posted my question in the ASUS forums, so I will know whenever I get a response there.

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

need to ask something bout soundcard

can dell version of xfi card work on other pc?

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

As long as you have drivers for it I can't see why not. Is it PCI or PCI-E ?

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Dell version as in OEM XFI? Yeah it should work but custom drivers usually don't work on OEM soundcards if i can recall. (heck, tons of OEM soundcard are sold in malaysia -.-)

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Won't work, it can only do DD decoding. It's beginning to look like only Creative is doing DTS hardware decoding to analog outputs. Man... this is a bummer. I have had the intention of making my PC a central hum for a personalised entertainment center. For now, I guess I will sit and wait. It looks like the Auzentech cards might be able to do this later on with a driver update. (From what I can tell they only enable features when they know it works properly, and I know the comparing card from Creative does it.)

Powerslide, I agree with previous posts. I went through the hastle of finding the latest driver from Dell for you. Here is the link to the page where it's hosted.
    Drivers and Downloads

12. Mac Daddy

That sucks dude on the DTS decoding to analog outputs thought Auzentech might be on top of that. There is another company very high end but I think they dropped there PC audio card line a while ago. Heres the link anyway I don't have time to go through it tonight ;)

M-AUDIO

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, I'll look through the site.
    I have no problems going through sights manually, or myself. My problem is that I don't know the company to look for. There was a time Creative was all one needed, thats certainly changed. I don't mind spending around $200USD for something good.
    As for Auzentech working on DTS to analog, I agree with you. From what I have seen in reviews and peoples responses, it has the ability to do it, but they are not comfortable enabling it in the driver yet. They seem to want to make sure everything will work properly before giving it the OK.

14. Mac Daddy

On Auzentech yes they have the ability to do so like they have for Xi-Fi. I think the high end audio card market right now is a matter of patents and sorry to be blunt .. Who's b*lls you lick :roll:

On either company let me know if you want me to contact them as a team member of techARP for you. You have been a member here a long time and have no issue doing so :D

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I do appreciate the offer, but I have some advantages doing it myself.
    1. It will let me see how customer support is. (Although I rarely need it)
    2. I can review the support for average users here.
    3. If it's not good support toward me, and I need assistance with getting the info, it will allow a great comparison of support based on the status of the customer.

I am sending Auzenteh the fallowing E-Mail, so this could be interesting.
    As for being blunt, that is more of an understatement. The works gets more and more greedy, so people need to do a lot to get something properly done.

Unfortunately M-Audio, they did drop the audio card line. They have pure audio creation cards, extremely high end. (At least the have the appearance of being high end.) Just not what I need unfortunately.

16. Mac Daddy

Sounds good and let us know on the feedback. On M-Audio thought they did to bad they had some great cards :(

I would have sent this I am a writer but feedback on your reply from them.

Cheers and good luck Bro :thumb:

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

18. Mac Daddy

I can't any reason why it won't work :)

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok Mac Daddy, I have waited four business days for a response, with not even an acknowledgment. It's a shame, but I could have sent it to the wrong E-Mail address. I sent it to "[email protected]".
    If that was not the proper address to send it to, and you know the proper one, please let me know. It was the best one I found for the purpose of the E-Mail.
    If it WAS the correct/best one to use, that I do ask that if the option is still open for you to ask them for the information, however you see fit.

20. Mac Daddy

PM me your email addy I will fire them off an email later for you and cc you to keep you in the loop :mrgreen:

(And "[email protected]" should be fine I contacted sales at Futuremark for my Vantage issue)