Airflow in a case!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Nerd@133FSB, May 14, 2003.

1. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

Hello again guys...
    Pls recommend me the best way to place fans in a case cause i'm planning of modding it cause putting fans all over the place will surely mess up the case's airflow pretty much.......

I'm sure most of u guys here have the exp. to give me some ideas :D

THANX

2. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

hm... lets start from the top.. a fan or two on top for to blow out the hot air... as u know hot air rises... lemme see.. the side... try making two blow holes... haha.. one in the middle.. one at the lower side of it where ur PCI cards are... ask why ? cause at the PCI cards area... there aint any cooling there... its all hot air from ur GFX card... urm... if u wanna do this... two intake fan at the front... way down below ur HDD(as u know)... two exhaust fan at the back... ahahaa... anyone correct me if I disturb the airflow...

3. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I use an Antec tower casing.

I have two fans at the bottom front of the casing to suck in air and two fans and the top back part of the casing, just below the PSU to suck air out of the casing.

I think this should work fine.

4. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

ahaha I guess I got it right... alot of people do that kind of thing one... I mean its always the front.. intake fan... and the back exhaust fan... and its always the same place haha... wonder if anyone change it... haha

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my case is a medium ATX ... need better airflow..

3 hard disk causing too much heat... thats why i never close it.. :(

6. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Back in Malaysia, I think is ok if you keep the casing open. But this is a very big NO NO over here because of the weather.

During the cold season, Fall, Winter and beginning of Spring, the weather gets cold and really dry. Your body will produce static electricity and if you touch any metal, it will try to ground and you get a shock.

I have a friend that accidently fried his machine because of the static electricity because he wasn't careful when he mess around with his machine.

Just food for thought!

7. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

haha kinda makes u say... that the person has electricity on him.... haha... what is the difference between closing and not closing ? I tried closing and non-closing... but I would say its all the same haha...

zy... u always praised my system... now its my time u praise u... 3 HARDDISK ?! WHOA !!!! its like... THREE ! so much !!!!!!!!!

8. zy

ehh .. dun praise me.. i'm sure there are many more ppl in this forums that has way more hard disk capacity than mine

9. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

comeon.. its like THREE ! I seldom see people have 3 HDD in their comps.. its either two or one... but 3 ? hor hor hor...

10. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

hmm... 3 harddisk.... quite burderning on ur PSU i think.... but 3 is definitely a lot of HDD:D

I currently own a cheap iCute casing wif 6 fans...

4 intake an 2 exhaust...and i added one on thop of the PCI slots, one on top of the RAM and some to the HDD and another exhaust blower below the AGP .....
    Does the ones above the RAM and PCI slots screw up airflow? :?

11. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

no it doesnt.. I would draw up a diagram if I can.. I read a review on airflow long time ago... haha I can still remember the nice pictures on it haha... Im even worse... I only have this unknown brand casing... which has one exhaust and one intake only... ahhaa...

12. zy

my exhaust sux.. :p ..

the only exhaust is my PSU ... the "dual fan PSU"

13. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

here is the diagram of the airflow in the casing for a normal intake fan and an exhaust fan casing...

now u know where the heat stores up... so just add the fan at that point...

Attached Files:

14. zy

howz mine?.. i'm not sure

Attached Files:

15. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

I dont get it... I dont get the airflow... whats that on ur left ? its like giving out air... up and down...

I want to ask one thing... if ur like punched out a window on ur casing... how do you all stick the glass on it ?

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

This is the best :)

Attached Files:

17. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

Hahaha obviousely u werent here yet when there were slot processors :D

and ZuePhOk, to put fans under my casing i would have to screw WHEELS onto my casing! :lol:

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

light up a cig and use the smoke to see the airflow :D

if u don't smoke... well.... u can use josticks too...

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The best way is to leave the casing open! :D

20. zy

& make sure nth gets in .. :p

my friend say intake air from the bottom collects dust .. :p