AMD 3 and 4 core CPUs...

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Motoman, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, I agree.

Remember, Crytek claimed Crysis would be one of the first games to really make use of multi-core CPUs (read = quad-core). Yet, our report (Tech ARP - Intel Core 2 Processor Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 2.4) shows that there is virtually no performance difference between a dual-core processor and a quad-core processor in Crysis.

Eventually, there will be more applications and games that will make use of quad-cores. But right now, dual-core processors offer the best bang for your buck.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I agree as well I can hit performance numbers in Everest running an E6550 Duo with a cheap 9600gt card matching a friend using a Q6600 and an 8800gt ...

Quads I think were meant for pure processing like video encoding or rendering :think:

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My uni has some guys and girls who did those simulation thingy - they used a notebook and run it for almost 1 week 24/7. I bet the notebook is in pain right now.

Well, if they used a full-fledged Quad-Core desktop, I don't think they will need that long to do the simulation right? :D

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That depends whether the software supports multi threading. So far, the support is almost nil.

5. Cyberwarrior

Cyberwarrior BOG Translator

Now you tell me!:wall: