AMD Turion x2 ultra or intel core2 duo?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by u suck.com, Oct 18, 2008.

1. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

any comments? i'm looking at a toshiba model with a turion (A300D-15B)

is there much diff compared to core2 duo? any comments welcome!!

2. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Core 2 Duo is a lot faster than Turion X2, no competition. With the newer 45nm penryn based Mobile Core 2 Duo, the performance gap is even bigger. However it probably doesn't matter at all if you don't do any CPU intensive tasks.

4. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Core Duo 2 is faster than the Turion X2's, but really, you shouldn't notice any different with everyday computing. Turion's tend to undervolt better than Core Duo 2 from my experience too.

I'd say, you should first look at price. Intel are more expensive most of the time, I tend to not find the extra premium worth the performance. Second thing, you should look at the video card. Most of the time, Intel's offering are bundled with a so-so Intel IGP. AMD, usually bundled with an ATI or Nvidia GPU which blows Intel IGPs away.

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, IMO..got budget,go for Core 2 Duo. If looking better IGP,then go for Turion. Like what Zenphic mention, AMD Turion notebooks are often bundle with better IGP (the new 1 comes with either HD3200 or HD3400/3450)

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I would suggest Intel Core 2 Duo

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Intel seems to be good with their processor nowadays, but look for benchies for more accurate comparison

8. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

9. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

Relatively poor battery life
    Poor CPU performance
    Glossy, hard-to-type-on keyboard

Definitely the deal breaker for me.

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

With a 15.4" laptop, I wouldn't be looking for long battery life since you wouldn't be carrying it around that much. The Toshiba is also heavier than most 15.4", so portability isn't it's best feature. Anything glossy for me is a big no-no. And that poor CPU performance is compensated with the not too bad video card :think:

11. Tensai_Kamen

Tensai_Kamen Newbie

I'd go for that Toshiba A300D-15B in the review because it comes with a discrete graphic card (radeon hd 3650), good enough for casual gaming. This laptop is a good deal for me unless you can find a similarly priced core 2 duo laptop with this or better graphic card.

If you're looking for mobility, better find laptop with smaller screen ( 13.3" or 12.1 ).