An article in ARP is plagiarised!

Discussion in 'News' started by Max_87, Nov 2, 2005.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

*looks at PsYkHoTiK one kind* :eh:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Me didn't vote... :mrgreen:

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

That's why I look at you one kind lo... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

*looks back at Dashken two kinds*

6. Reyne

Reyne Newbie

*Looks at PsYkHoTiK and Dashken three kinds...* :mrgreen:

7. Elkdad

Elkdad Newbie

I'm not making accusations, either. I just said I found it amusing. I wasn't trying to simplify anything. People in China probably would have a problem with the concept that all Chinese plagiarize.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, you got it totally wrong.

What the Chinese did was PLAGIARISM. What those DVD duplicators are doing is called SOFTWARE PIRACY.

The difference, you may ask?

Plagiarism is a theft of credit. Software piracy is a commercial crime. When they plagiarize our articles, we don't lose money. We lose credit for our work, the right to be acknowledge as the creator of our work.

When they duplicate DVDs or CDs, they are stealing intellectual property and actually reduce the creating company's "potential income". Note the word potential income. It doesn't mean the company loses money, they just lose potential customers. Even if there's no piracy, that doesn't mean they will automatically get more customers.

But in any case, there's virtually no logic in tying plagiarism with software piracy. :think:

Incidentally, Malaysia MAY be the biggest producer of pirated CDs or DVDs in the world but we are certainly NOT the biggest users of pirated software. You might want to cast your eyes in the direction of large countries like China, Russia and yes, the United States. ;)

9. Adrian Wong

LOL!! What's amusing is that the news report forgot to mention where the discs go to. :wicked:

It's like cocaine and heroin. We all know it's bad. We all know Afghanistan and Columbia produces a lot of it. But instead of blaming the addicts, dealers and distributers in OUR OWN country, we blame the producers.

Yeah, that's really hilarious. :haha: :haha:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Actually, the news reporter did mention Latin America, Europe, Asia, Russia etc... :mrgreen: What I find it more amusing is that someone who mentioned the news didn't see that as the main highlight. :mrgreen:

11. Elkdad

Elkdad Newbie

:beer: Peace, man...

12. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Well said, boss! Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap:
    The boss knows the best!
    I nearly thought that Malaysia is the one responsible... :silenced: :silenced:

13. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Is it really neccesary??

14. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, it did. Sorry, missed that. :mrgreen:

15. Elkdad

Elkdad Newbie

I just finished reading a biography of Lise Meitner. She was a brilliant physicist that pointed the way to how nuclear fission actually happens. Her 30-year partner and collaborator, Otto Hahn, got the Nobel Prize for the discovery of nuclear fission. Meitner was not a party to this because she was Jewish and was forced to escape from Germany and the Nazis. Hahn, never stood up for her because he was afraid of retributions.

If ever there was a person that got ripped off, if was Lise Meitner. There is plenty of injustice in the world, though, and depending on your point of view (and possibly your audience), ANYTHING can be argued as justified. Just look at the current idiot president we have here in the USA. He lives in some fantasy world where there actually are people that believe what he says.

16. Adrian Wong

That sucks, knowing that you deserve credit for your work. I will bet she felt as badly as Max did when they plagiarized his work. At least Hahn deserved some of the credit. :think:

Yeah, there's plenty of injustice in this cruel world. :wall: But I don't think we should stop trying to correct them. :mrgreen:

As for President Bush, no matter what we think of him, he still won the election. If we have to blame anyone, we should blame the voters. :mrgreen: Yeah, I'm blaming myself for the stupid government we have right now. :wall:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

If I didn't vote, should I blame myself too? :think:

18. Adrian Wong

YES! :twisted:

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Then you should be blamed TWICE for voting the wrong party? :twisted: :faint:

20. Adrian Wong

Err.. I didn't vote. :shifty:

Okay, back to topic! :mrgreen: