Another camera buyer here... Which one?!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lung, Sep 18, 2003.

1. lung

lung Just Started

Here are the requirements...

Price range: 1k - 2k (RM)
    Pixels: 3 - 4 million
    Size: Compact (Can fit in pocket)
    Optical Zoom: 3x
    Digital Zoom: 3x or 4x

Currently there are two models in my mind... The Minolta DiMage Xt and the Canon Ixus 400 (aka S400). Which one is better?

Was looking at the Olympus weatherproof cameras too but then they don't have audio in their video recording :(

Was also looking at Nikon's but their physical look doesn't appeal to me :shifty:

So, my dear experts... What is your advice?

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

lucky we have mr.tung here :)
    just be patient, he just went out for lunch :shifty: :shifty: :lol: :lol:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Zue's favourite, Canon A70 :D

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

seems like he wants a super compact.. i'd suggest the Nikon CP SQ but well, since u don't like the design.. which i find pretty nice :p

5. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

u also wan digital zoom????....4 wat?? :shock: :shock:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Panasonic Lumix with Leica lens?

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

My friend has the S400. I've seen some of his shots taken during a trip to Hanoi - pictures are sharp and excellent colours.

I've tested the Dimage Xt - it's lighter and more portable than the S400. Also takes good and sharp pictures, but compared to the S400 I like Canon's colour reproduction better.

I've also tested the Nikon CP SQ - nice looking camera and cool swivel lens but IMHO image quality isn't up to par with the Minolta and Canon.

Then of course there's the A70 - very popular because of it's price and features. I'm sure Zue can elaborate further! ;)

:)atwl

8. lung

lung Just Started

Alrite, I bought the Minolta DiMage Xt. RM1550 + extra 128MB memory card + tripod. :D

Let's see... It's very light and compact :thumb: - Takes good quality pictures (.TIFF format support available, but takes up a LOT of space) - Very fast startup time (around 1 sec) - ...

Okay, now the BAD points... Weak macro functionality... No manual control over shutter / aperture :( But I suppose I can get used to living without 'em :)

Will post sample pics later but so far I couldn't get a good 'subject' yet...

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Like atwl said, stand in front of the mirror and take a picture of yourself. :haha: