Any recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kayFX, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

when it comes to laptop model selection, i suck.. dunno which one to choose.. my GF want to buy a new laptop around RM 3000 maybe can strech it to RM 3500-4000 but right now just stick to the RM 3000 budget first.. she asking me about apple powerbook and how much it will cost and as for my preference i prefer non apple product as it easy for me to maintain.. so any all around purpose laptop that is good for almost everything?..

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Apple Powerbook starts at around 1200 USD.

3. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

no idea about apple notebook but with rm4k i doubt you can get a decent apple laptop. Ibm is good on laptop follow by dell.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

with RM4k you cant get a good ibm either :D

5. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

With 5k your best bet is dell ? :think:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With 3.5k, I think you can get a pretty decent dell already. For me, it's quite ok for office work, but definitely not game. :D

Attached Files:

8. slyeoh

slyeoh Newbie

I believe dell has good service support in Malaysia too right? heard many good things about it from friends in penang..easy on the budget too :D

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I heard that Dell's very loose on their QA and testing, that's why they need a strong technical support. :mrgreen:

10. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

still better then other brand like acer , compaq ....nec...mitek

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Agreed, I might even go for a Dell for my next notebook if the other brands don't improve on their service and support here! :grrr:

And for an IBM with a specs that's what I need at the minimum, it's going to cost me at least RM8K! :wall: die standing man.

Maybe I'll look at a Fujitsu this time around.. Hmmmm

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, very good. It took them just one day to on-site support. One of my user just have her motherboard changed today! :haha:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

All in all, NEC is not recommended. If me, I'll also buy Dell. :shhh:

Ok, back to topic. :mrgreen:

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Lol what problems have you experienced with NEC?
    My friend has 2 of them; amongst other things he complains about the fan noise :haha:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... I have one and it's great so far. Actually I haven't much experience with NEC. But I wouldn't recommend it, except if you buy it from Japan coz the QA there is tighter. :mrgreen:

16. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

after a huge argument between me and my gf (she want an apple G4 iBook) we buy an Acer Aspire 5542NWXMi for RM 3500..
    the specs are:
    Intel Core Duo processor T2300 (65nm):D
    (1.66GHz, 667 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 cache)
    14.1" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    60GB HDD 5400rpm
    DVD-Super Multi double layer
    (Support DVD+R Double Layer/ DVD+-RW)
    512MB DDR2 (support dual-channel)
    802.11 a/b/g wireless LAN

here some pic:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    shot taken using Nikon D50.. dunno where the dust come from..:think:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

FANTASTIC! :thumb: RM3.5k. great package

*just close an eye on its service loh..

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Heh! congrats with the notebook. the price is good for the specs u've got. And like phok said, close one eye at the service.

19. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

the first thing i notice with this 65nm technology is there is almost no heat at all.. put it on my lap for almost 1 hour just feel warm.. or maybe its my lap.. and its noiseless too.. the cpu exhaust fan, i haven't notice it spin because of heat.. on the same day me and my gf bought this, i have to setup two other laptop (one is Compaq Presario V4000T and one is BenQ whatever:? ).. and the speed different is huge:shock: .. i haven't tweak the registry yet.. the windows login bar was running for one time only.. (the black screen with WindowsXP word on it).. hard for me to see other laptop running that fast around.. or maybe i haven't working with a laptop for a long time..:haha: and one more question, is intel core duo is 64bit? cannot find in intel website that tells me about it..

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wah.. Damn nice!!!! :thumb:

Wish I could afford a new laptop too. :D

Forget about 64-bits. You don't need it unless you need more than 4GB of RAM!! :D

Seriously, I would worry more about the graphics processor, rather than the 64-bit capability of any GPU. When Vista comes along, you will need a 3D graphics processor of sufficient power to fully support its features.