APPLE 30" DISPLAY-WHAT CARD?! ATI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by andersonson, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

AGP? Then the GeForce 8800 GT is out of question. Maybe he can try for an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.... :think:

2. cman

cman Newbie

Hey guys,
    Turns out its a PCI X slot.
    what cards would you recommend for high definition?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

PCI X or PCI Express?

4. cman

cman Newbie

..........PCI X

5. Adrian Wong

Woah... That's bad news. I don't know of any current graphics card that supports PCI X...

6. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

OH NO...

ok, so i've not replied to this for a while as i've been busy with my research and a big thank you for everybody helping me!
    i think like you guys have said, my problem has come up because my slots are PCI-X and not PCI EXPRESS!!!!!
    so i've spoken to a friend and he said i could change my motherboard and get a new graphics card too (ATI Radeon X1900 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro has been reccommended on apples website). i ran my macbook pro through it and the hd was sweet.
    is a new motherboard an idea? if so i was wondering on costs and whether i would have to reinstall all of my software programmes such as logic pro 7?!?!

cheers again

7. Adrian Wong

You will definitely have to get a new motherboard that support PCI Express if you want to upgrade. However, the cost may be prohibitive. It "might" be a better option to get a newer Mac? :think:

8. Chai

I don't think Mac is very upgrade friendly. You might have to consider getting a new one.

9. bigpunter

bigpunter Newbie

andersonson,

Which graphics card is installed in your G5 at the moment?

I had a PowerMac G5 (sold this Jan), it was the Dual 2.7GHz with PCIX - mines had the ATi Radeon X650 PRO which supported the 30" ACD.

Newer models had PCIe slots and all the graphics cards supported it.

However, the PCIX slots are only the top 3. The one your graphics card is plugged into is actually a AGP 8x PRO slot.

Therefore as you said in your first post the best graphics card would be the nVidia 6600 Ultra.

The problem with Mac's is that they require the graphics card to have a specific BIOS and it must be Mac compatible. I.e. you can search on eBay for a 6600 Ultra and find one for about 40 notes, however the Mac versions will go for closer to 200.

If I'd look for either a X650 PRO / 6600 Ultra or sell the Power Mac and buy the new Mac Mini.

Yes, it sounds strange but the new Mini is far better. It's got a Intel processor, nVidia 9400M graphics (which are probably better than the 6600 Ultra) and you'd be future-proofed for a while.

Although if you have PPC specific apps or are using some of the PCIX slots for specialized cards the graphics card is the best way to go. Just seemed a waste to me spending 200+ on a card thats 4 years old. :shock:

Hope that helps. :)

10. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

hey

that is a brilliant post and really helpful. you are right about the slots. i will find out about the card as it doesnt say in my g5 booklet and so i will have to physically check it but i havent forgotten and i will find it out for you and send another post.interseting too about the mini mac, cheers again and speak very soon! :D

11. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

pictures of my machine!

RIGHT! I HAVE TAKEN MY CARD OUT AND TAKEN PICTURES OF THE SLOT IN MY MACHINE AND OF MY CARD. SUPRISINGLY, THERE IS NO TEXT ON THE CARD TO SAY WHAT MAKE AND MODEL IT IS ALTHOUGH I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S A RADEON CARD. HAVE A LOOK AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK! I'VE HAD TO PUT IT ON MY MUSIC WEBSITE SO PLEASE HAVE A LOOK VIA THIS. THANKS A LOT! GO TO - Nijinxky on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

12. Adrian Wong

Sorry, I don't see it anywhere. Please upload your photos using the provided Attach Files feature available just below the text entry area when you reply.

13. Chai

14. cman

cman Newbie

He wants to know what card, if any, would pump out HD to his 30inch monitor, that is compatable with his current motherboard.

15. Hi, just browsing and came across this thread. I have had exactly the same problem and think i have finally found the solution. I spent a huge amount of time trying to get answers from Apple but to no avail. In the end i decided to go it alone. I think i have finally found the solution. I have just ordered a ATI Radeon HD 8670. It took a while to find one but got it finally. Shall i let you know if it works for me ?? :? Fingers crossed !!

16. Forgot to say, DO NOT BUY the ATI RADEON X800 XT (MAC EDITION) i've tried it and it DOES NOT WORK !! :wall:

17. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

let me know!

yeah, if you look at my pictures on the myspace page in the graphics folder, you will see what my graphics card looks like and the slots in my machine. i know that the top 3/4 are pci-x but have no idea what slot the bottom one is. this is what my graphics card slots into. i've tried with apple and i just get offloaded onto other members of staff who suggest buying things with no thoughts as to that i have a budget and 'just trying' cards is an expensive way of going on! so please let m,e know how you get on. mines a 2gb 2004 g5 model. if you can let me know that would be grand! cheers

18. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

ATI Radeon HD 8670

ok, i've just ordered a ATI Radeon HD 8670 from america on the net. it was the last one going from america for $255 as i couldnt get any from europe. it is non refundable but hope it works like you said. i will let you know the results within 6 weeks when it arrives! cheers again.:wave:

19. Adrian Wong

Oh, for that, he just needs to buy a Mac-compatible graphics card that supports dual-DVI output.

20. ianho

ianho Newbie

30" resolution is just mad. I'm running 3 way SLI n still cant play some 2 year old games at max eye candy. :wall:

Dual DVI doesn't mean having 2 DVI connectors on the gfx card. The ACD has a single DVI plug that plugs into a single port on the gfx card.

It just has to be a Dual DVI single connector. Most ppl have the wrong idea n think dual dvi means the monitor needs to be plugged into 2 DVI connectors.