Apple Launches Third Generation iPad with Retina Display, LTE.

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Falcone, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, the higher resolution would mean you can view 1080p videos with the video controls visible but not intruding at all times, or you can have a bottom bar with subtitles. But that may be irritating to some people, of course.

My biggest problem with the high resolution is the limited storage option. I cannot believe Apple would continue to ship this higher resolution iPad with just 16 GB. It really limits the usability of the iPad, at least as a mobile video player.

A standard 1080p video is what.. about 4 GB in size? You can load two movies at most, if you want to load apps. And apps that are designed for the new iPad would take up more space than current apps. The same goes for photos.

IMHO, Apple should have gone 32 GB -> 64 GB -> 128 GB, but I guess it's a good way for them to "force" buyers to pay extra for Retina display. Most potential iPad users will have "no choice" but to buy the 64 GB model.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, I think it is way more than 4GB for a normal 1080p, and you will get black borders on both horizontal and vertical if you view as 1:1 pixel, and will be worse as most movies are not even at 16:9 ratio.

That's the reason why I didn't wait for the next gen high res display tablet. It looks nice, but it kills the capacity, especially bad if the storage is not expandable.

3. Adrian Wong

Yeah, usually more than 4 GB, sometimes even 8-10 GB. That's why I think the new iPad will be somewhat crippled by its comparatively limited storage capacity.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But it won't stop people from buying... :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

LOL! True! :D