Apple to sue Samsung!

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Apr 21, 2011.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Apple is suing Samsung for infringing its copyrights with the popular Galaxy phones and Tab models, which both run Google's rival Android software

Apple is suing rival mobile phone maker Samsung over the design of the Galaxy line of products, which includes the ‘S’ smartphone and the ‘Tab’ tablet PC. The American lawsuit claims that Samsung is ‘slavishly’ copying Apple's iPhone and iPad designs.

Apple cites examples of patent infringement that include both core technology and aesthetics, and refers to patents issued in 2009 and 2010. Apple also claims that the arrangement of icons and packaging are similar between the Galaxy phones and the iPhone.

“Samsung’s Galaxy Tab computer tablet slavishly copies a combination of several elements of the Apple Product Configuration Trade Dress,” Apple says in its suit. It notes, additionally, that Samsung’s tablet, like Apple’s, uses a similar rectangular design with rounded corners, similar black border and array of icons. That could indicate other tablet manufacturers, such as Motorola and HTC, can expect lawsuits in the future too.

Filed in the US District Court in Northern California, the suit alleges patent and trademark infringement, as well as unfair competition. It seeks a finding that the alleged infringement was wilful in addition to injunctions, actual damages and punitive damages.

Samsung, which is also a supplier of chips to Apple for the iPhone and iPad, said that it would fight the actions. All the devices concerned run Google’s rival Android operating system.

Apple sues Samsung for ‘slavish’ copying of iPhone and iPad - Telegraph

Iphone - Nexus S?
    ipad - Galaxy Tab ??
    :clap:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I know Galaxy S looks too similar to iPhone. I've some friend avoided Galaxy S because of the similarity! :haha:

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

fruity brand is barking up the wrong tree.

you don't messed with the koreannnnnnn.. :p

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

will apple sue me for eating apple or sue me for even drawing a square :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I should just patent the "technology" of using a glass screen in a mobile phone. Then everyone will have to pay me royalty. :haha: :haha:

Seriously, copying the iPhone's look isn't going to help Samsung sell more phones if the GUI and apps aren't up to standard. Apple has nothing to fear. People are not buying the Samsung Galaxy S just because it looks like the iPhone. If they want the iPhone, they will buy the iPhone, period.

I think this suit is way too generalized. It's like Apple suing Microsoft just because Windows is a graphical user interface that uses a mouse as well. Oh wait, Apple did sue Microsoft over that even though both parties "stole" the idea from Xerox! Guess who won that suit... :haha:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

apple has been suing ppl over UI IP for years.

thing is, samsung, nokia and moto have been making phones for decades. Im sure they have a much bigger library of hardware/radio IP than apple. i think it's just a matter of whether they want to make that move or not. All these years, it seems like they can't be bothered suing their competitors.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Immitation is the best form of flattery LOL, well it's not patented, it's clearly distinguished and doesn't cause confusion.

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

9. jay cee

jay cee Newbie

so did you see a few days later Samsung is suing Apple for the same thing. very funny

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, they will sue each other and make their lawyers rich. Then after visiting the courts a few times, they will probably kiss and make up and sign a patent-sharing agreement.

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hehe.. that sounds alot of like amd/ intel

12. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hmmm anyone follow up the case? what happen ?

13. Adrian Wong

LOL! Looks like they are preparing to make up and sign a patent sharing agreement :

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well they lost out to Nokia (and had to enter into a licensing agreement). So I guess they want to pwn someone else... :p

16. Chai

They are suing the TouchWiz... :lol:

I think only the SGS is really identical to iPhone.

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

steve jobs has never been to sauna sessions..

he doesnt understand the meaning of brotherhood in korea/japan.

hahaha.. eh share la don't like that..

18. Chai

But he should know what is gang bang. :haha:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I doubt he knows. HAHAHAHA

He has this "kao peh" face. like we all owe him money. full of rage type.

i mean, that guy is so creepy, video camera was not allowed during his presentation at WWDC.

20. jos007

jos007 Newbie

Well since Apple did pretty much try and get all Samsung products banned all over I could see this happening. Also if the new iphone does indeed have a larger screen and a different home button more similar to the sgs2 then it makes sense. I mean apple expects everyone to pay or stop making a product so why should any other company with patents not be able to do the same? These companies are all sue happy since the floodgates have opened.