Are your pc HL2 ready?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kayFX, Oct 25, 2004.

1. yankee

yankee Newbie

sigh :cry: ... i hope my card could last a little longer.

Anyway, this is y i plan to get a Radeon9800Pro for the sake of this game, which i have discussed in this forum as well.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

9200SE is not a card that will last long. Even the initial price is very low. :D

3. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Considering this he should not even buy a 9600XT.
    I'd recommend to start with a 9800pro or higher.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  4. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

how about 9700pro? im wanna buy one.

btw, nice sig.

5. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Yeah, a 9700Pro would be fine. BUt still, stretch to a 9800Pro if you can.

6. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

A 9700pro is one fine piece of hardware but you should keep in mind that it's still sufficient enough for todays games, but in about one year you would run into a situation where it's performance would be maxed out at mid details at last.
    I dunno, maybe you don't mind about it and there's no problem to buy a new card at that time.
    But, like Maximus said, if you gonna buy a new card today I'd recommend to go for a 9800pro as minimum and buckle it up to XT, 'cause it's performance will satisfy you for longer than a 9700 would.

Thnx. :D

7. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

thx for the info.

8. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

what have you guys got against 9200SE????

the game is playable i am sure if you turn off all them artsy-farsty details and drop screen reso... if you can play doom3 that way im sure HL2 will run just fine

you think people print money ah? why dont you buy him one then?
    and while youre at it can buy me one also! ahahahahahhaha

maybe start ARP fund for ppl who have lousy vid card?

9. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

No one has contributed to the 'Help Maximus_Detritus Survive by Helping him get his 6800GT' Fund either, mahakanjus. ;)

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

You have a 9800 Pro. Modified 9800SE but still a 9800 Pro nonetheless. If I had that kind of video card I wouldn't be complaining ;)

11. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Simply as that, the card is not sufficient to run HL2.
    Sure, you can turn off most of the features, drop to lower res and it will run, but that's nothing I'd call sufficient.
    If you've fun playing games like this, do so, you're free to choose.
    But he was asking if his R9200 is able to run this game smoothly, and it's not.

12. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

There's nothing wrong with the cards below the 9800 Pro. We're just saying if you can, get a 9800 Pro or better, else your card won't last you that long and you'll just have to buy a new one again soon.

13. Chai

Well, to be honest, unfortunately unlike the old days, graphics is a big part of most of today's game, and if you can't turn on all the details, you can't really enjoy the game. All the gamers with slower graphics card can only envy those using higher end cards.

Doom 3 is the best example of all. If it wasn't for its graphics, I would probably rate it as one of the worst game of the year! If you said you enjoy Doom 3 with a 9200SE, you are probably just lying. :mrgreen:

Today, my 9800 Pro is just a mid range card, but I'm still capable of running at 1024x768, max details, 4xAA 16xAF in CS:S. I can't be happier! :D

If you are getting a card for gaming today, I would recommend 9800 Pro as a mid range card, and 6800GT for the high end. :thumb:

14. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

woah.. war of the graphic card.. low end, mind-range, high end.. when will this madness slowdown? i've read some article that NV45 will be coming next year.. when you get enough money to buy it, then NV46 will appear.. argh.. but my system able to run it at 1024x768 w/o AF/FSAA.. ok but not good enough.. :doh:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

get 6600GT :mrgreen: :thumb:

16. Chai

Isn't the NV45 out already? The PCI-E version of 6800?

17. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

ops.. :oops: my mistake.. i mean NV46 will be anounce next year.. read that from CHIP magazine.. anyway HL2 is agraet game.. try this on the command console 'ai_disable' without the ' '

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

CHIP mag? :o
    erm..weird..wonder who says that? which issue?

19. cmon, the gf4 mx440 is just fine, if you can stand objects fading into view...

lol, get the 6600gt, or the x800se, if you can

20. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

get 6600gt. some selling rm620. im still waiting for my ram. then can try half life 2.