artnet adsl modem woes

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by eddie_al, Jul 28, 2006.

1. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

hie guys.im new here.i was told by a fren that u guys are best when it comes to pc know-how.well...it might sound silly but i've been having this problem with my new modem over my new place.i previously used aztech adsl modem which allowed me to change my ip as needed.im not sure how far from true this claim is,but i do realise some speedbump when i am connected to the streamyx server on certain ip's. (mainly 218.xx and 219.xx)

but after i changed my modem to this artnet adsl router modem (with no model number), i can only connect to ip's of 60.xx . i can confirm this because the subnet mask of the WAN is 255.0.0.0....which means the 1st number doesnt change right? so....anyone can help? where can i set my router so that it will change into other ip's? is this affected by area? im currently at wangsa maju. i had streamyx previously at penang.

thx a bunch.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

*bump*

really need some guide...i dont know the settings for this artnet modem.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Umm.. Just got online. :)

Well, first of all, you cannot change your IP. Whenever you connect to the Streamyx ADSL service, you will be assigned an IP address. You cannot force your modem to use a particular IP address.

As for the speedbump, well, that happens whenever you connect to a site outside Malaysia. Streamyx is fast within the country, but piss-poor outside Malaysia.

Wait.. What exactly are you referring to? Are you talking about the Internet here, or your local network? Cause both use IP addresses.

4. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

i see....actually i was refering to the WAN ip. LAN is for my own network only right?

i didnt know if the ip actually changed or not...but it does shows differently when i was using the aztech modem.it also states there as WAN ip,which i assume is the streamyx server ip or something.and this can be changed when i d/c and reconnect....and it will show a different ip. but with this artnet modem, the ip changes too...but the starting num is always 60.xx.xx.xx

i have only a slight knowledge of networking.from what i know..this means i am stil on the same ip line....because the subnet masking is 255.0.0.0, so when the router connects to the server, the server will assign the ip for my connection.but in this case...im stil connected to the same server?? no?? :eh: ....abit confusing right? heh...sorry...i dont know how to explain it clearer...

simply put....i used to be able to change the ip (via random tries of d/c & reconnecting,because like u said,i cant control the ip), but now,watever i do its always 60.xx.xx.xx

i know streamyx is faster for local connections,but since i have been playing quite a few number of online games....certain ip do give u much stable ping. many seem to agree to this.its noticable in games that provides real time ping rate...er....CS:S for example? it doesnt makes the connection faster....but in game stable connection is what we want...and some ip have ping that goes up n down until finally.....d/c'ed....:cry:

thx for replying...i just want to find out.its ok if it cant be changed....the knowledge is much appreciated.

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Why are you setting the network mask?

Are you dialing up Streamyx from your modem or using your PC?

6. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

i didnt. it defaulted. which is exactly why i wanted to change it to 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.0.0.0

however i cant find the setting in this artnet modem.im dialing using the router software.its a router/modem....with no model name watsoever. only thing it says is artnet adsl bridge router. the router software of this modem is so un-user-friendly...:(

7. Adrian Wong

Err.. I don't think you need to worry about the network submask... :think:

Would it be possible for you to show us shots of the router screens? It's hard to figure it out if we have nothing to work with.

BTW, is the modem connected directly to your PC? Or to a switch / wireless AP?

8. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

ok..i'll get some SS of the router window.sorry...i realise its kindda hard to figure out something out of nothing.i can't find anything regarding this modem even on artnets' website....the site seem so dead.

9. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

If I understand you correctly, you have no problems connecting to Streamyx. All you want is to be able to connect to IP addresses in the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. If that is the case, then nothing much can be done. When you/router dial in to the Streamyx server, it will automatically assign you an IP address and the subnet mask is based on the IP address. If you want, you can pay a lot more money and get a fixed IP address. Having an IP address from the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask doesn't give you an improvement of speed or whatsoever. Sometimes a lot of other factors come into play such as congestion in a certain area, telephone line noise and etc.