Assign IP to network device

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by pmbtech, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pmbtech

pmbtech Newbie

I have a network device (LED Sign) that is shipped with an IP of 192.168.X
    I need to write a utility for my customers to assign a new IP to it. The sign has a web based setup screen.
    My problem is that my customers may have a 10.1.X network.
    They setup the sign by connecting directly to it via a crossover or through a hub.
    I know the MAC address(serial number) of the sign.
    I set up a small 10.1.X network with a router and gateway and plugged my machine and the sign into a hub to simulate a customer.
    I tried adding an entry in my machines' ARP cache as 10.1.1.100 and then pinged 10.1.1.100 but no joy.
    I have been scouring the net and reading anything and everything I can find that even remotely is in the ball park, I've learned more about networks and IP routing than I ever thought I would but can't seem to get my head around this one.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get to a 192.1.X device from a 10.1.X device with a known MAC address?

Thanks for any Ideas

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

can you change the ip address of the LED sign via web based screen ?

3. pmbtech

pmbtech Newbie

yes the sign has a broswer based as well as telnet and FTP methods for setting the IP

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm no pro at networking, but i guess the easiest way is still changing the LCD sign ip to 10.1.x.x by using a 192.1.x.x network first. then connect the LCD sign to the 10.1.x.x. network.