Asus Eee pad transformer or iPad2 ?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by mikegas, May 16, 2011.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I can't decide between this two .. seesh ..

Ipad2
    pro - cool and thousands of apps, long battery, idiot proof
    con - camera sux, cannot play flash, most app need $$

Eee Pad
    pro - andriod, can play flash, can customize more
    con - is not an iPad ... lol

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, the camera on the iPad 2 is rather pointless. Useful only if you absolutely must take a shot and you have nothing smaller or better to do it.

Despite the lack of Flash support, I would go with the iPad 2. At the moment, it has a ton more apps than Android tablets.

3. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Yeah .. ton of apps that need $$. Andriod is by gaint Goggle, I think before long there would be tonnes of apps ..

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What do you intend to use it for? After looking at iPad2, especially in terms of specs, I will look elsewhere. But like I asked, your usage is very important.

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

wanna play movies mostly for in car entertainment for my boy .. and some educational games ...

6. Adrian Wong

Well, Android apps will also cost money! :D

You can find free Apple apps or wait for special offers - some apps do become free for a limited time, or on special occasions (e.g. festivals, holidays, etc.)

7. Chai

Finally Android Market is now open for Malaysia to purchase paid apps. Unlike iOS, you don't need to jailbreak.

If you want to play movies, Android can do an excellent job, and having higher res screen makes it even better. But in terms of educationaly apps, I'm not too sure though.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I would say both Ipad and Android-based tablets are good. :thumb:

The Samsung Galaxy tab is all great but it went sluggish at some programs. Just tried it at a shopping center.

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i like ios for its simplicity and usability, not to mention these i devices are very well made and they are always a step ahead in term of form factor and battery utilisation. but i must say.. media management via itunes was a real PITA.

and once I got my hand on my nexus s, I never looked back. if you are a geek, Im quite sure you will appreciate android more than the ios. the usability is better. the notifcation dropdown list alone is worth the switch! you don't need a desktop app to manage it because everything can be done over the air! and if there is something you are not happy with, there is always an alternative/mod to workaround it. Worth noting though, always get a stock android product, or at least get one that has the least skinning. e.g. the nexus series. the tablets are safe for now since google doesnt really want that many UI customisation done on it.

Samsung, htc, motorola aren't software dudes. they can never develop good UI and they can't update it as fast as google can (e.g. the galaxy series has spawned liek what? 10 skus?) so, always stick to the stock.

having said that, a jailbroken ios does appear rather attractive. the only sien part is that you will have to redo the mod everytime apple rolls out new os updates.

ios can offer a mil apps on the app store, but how many do we use it on a regular basis? and when it comes to movie playback (ngek ngek, you know what I mean), nothing can beat an open OS.

my personal advise: from utilization perspective, get the Eee pad. just don't pit its form factor/construction quality against the ipad. hehe, we will never get a perfect product.

10. Chai

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself. I think it is a great summary of pros and cons for both OSes.

I'm also using a relatively stock Android UI, and it is very very fast and responsive. LauncherPro to be specific.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

thats one great neutral opinion which very hardly to come by nowdays :thumb:

12. Adrian Wong

Yup! ZuePhok nailed it! :thumb:

I just have to add one small point.

The importance of Apple apps isn't so much the number. Frankly speaking, most iPad apps are crap. There are only a few truly useful apps or games.

Anyway, the key advantage of the iPad is that if you are already using an iPhone or iPod touch, you can share the same apps without paying for another copy.

13. Chai

I think it's the same for Android as well.

14. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

You are wrong on this part ... ipod and iphone app looks crap on ipad. For ipad you need to buy AGAIN the HD version. I did that mistake before cause me $$ ...

Yup being a geek as I am, I would prefer Andriod but if the pad is for the little one .. then is diff story ..

15. Chai

Yeah, in fact, Android is better as some apps/games work with multi resolution even before the Honeycomb because of various different Android phones, from 480x320, 480x800, 480x854, and now tablet resolutions, 1024x600, 1280x800 (limited as it is not a common res).

You don't have to pay extra for HD versions like Angry birds.

16. Adrian Wong

Actually, you are wrong, well partly anyway.

Currently, there are two sizes for iOS devices. The old standard resolution for the iPhone 3GS, 3rd Gen. iPod touch and older devices. Then you have the newer devices with higher resolutions like the iPhone 4, the 4th Gen. iPod touch and the two iPads.

All iOS apps can be designed to support both resolutions. However, many app designers chose to split the HD version as a separate version to make more money. Doing so forces people who purchased the original version to pay for the HD version just to benefit from the higher resolution. However, you can still use the standard definition app - it just doesn't look as good. On the iPad, you can force the app to run at its native resolution but it will look small (of course).

So it's not a mistake per se. It's just a business decision on the part of app developers.

However, if you just migrated to the iOS platform, then what I said is 100% correct because all Apple iOS devices now have HD screens. So you would only buy HD apps, which can be shared between those devices without limitations or resolution issues. Unless you made the mistake of purchasing the SD versions for older iOS devices...

17. Chai

Thankfully, I haven't found the need to pay for any Android apps to worry about that yet.

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Well .. yeah I did that... In itune store, there is split of ipad and iphone apps.

Well, I guess developer wanna make $$. I have yet to get an andriod pad, thinking of waiting for Samsung tablet 10.1" ... Asus marketing kinda sux ..

19. Chai

Why is Asus marketing bad? Due to the FB preorder mess?

I would just wait after the launch if I were you. No need to rush.

20. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's the problem. It's not like they cannot make the app support both resolutions. Apple made it possible and there are a number of apps that can be used in both standard and high resolutions.

BTW, if you are looking for a tablet you can scribble on, the HTC Flyer seems like a pretty good (albeit expensive) option. The stylus it comes with is really neat. Too bad the iPad cannot use such a stylus.