ASUS EeeBox

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by peaz, Aug 29, 2008.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Has any one tried it out? Very cheap to use as a set top box. my question is, is the processor fast enough to playback HD encoded DIVX files?

From what I read, 720p encoded DIVX playback is ok. Hmm still that's just reading from some forums that I don't fully trust. Hmm Phok, have you reviewed this baby?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

HD or Full HD?

PS3 FTW! :thumb:

3. peaz

LOL. PS3 can play DIVX files?

4. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I prefer xvid to divx but then again I only use it for dvd movies and fraps captures.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't think its possible. Atom is really weak when it comes to encoding/decoding videos.

6. peaz

well, xvid and divx playback processing power is pretty similar.

Hmmm apparently some say 720p can be processed but roughly 90% CPU utilization! :O damn. Maybe have to set it up as streaming instead from my main machine :p

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yes it can... :mrgreen:

8. Chai

Yes actually.

9. peaz

DAMN. LOL. but my TV isn't full HD. haha. Maybe get an xbox 360 instead la :p

anyways. tell me how this works. Can I say get a NAS and use the PS3/xbox 360 to pick up the files from the NAS and play it?

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

360 if you want it to die a lot (and smaller proprietary drive to boot). It is also a 'HD' console as well (looks like crapola on SD)... :mrgreen:

The PS3 detects and can browse my files stored on the WHS. It really has tons of cool things on it.

And get a new TV... :mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  11. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Argh I need a new TV too. No point in having that capability if the TV doesn't support it...

12. Chai

I bought a cheap FUll HD monitor instead, and works extremely well. :mrgreen: Since I use it alone, doesn't really matter. :mrgreen: Don't forget PS3 has self-upgradable 2.5" HDD.

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yes 720p is definitely doable, but I really doubt it's capable of doing 1080p playback smoothly.

PS3 BAIBAIBAI

14. peaz

okok. basically I want to get to easily play my DIVX encoded AVIs and MKVs on the TV. that's the requirement. Of course short of putting a whole PC there, I'm looking for gadgets to help me to that. the source file will eventually be on a NAS plugged to the LAN. So in the end, I can watch all those movies anytime without needing to keep my PC running 24/7. save the environment too.

15. peaz

That's the thing. It's meant for the TV not personal use. haha. But worth considering. PS3 on 720p is still ok right?

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

PS3 doesn't support MKV AFAIK, you need to convert it to MP4. Unless you run linux on it maybe... Then again, I'm not sure if PS3 is fast enough to decode 1080p or maybe even 720p videos when running linux at the same time, especially H.264 encoded ones.

PC is still the better choice if you want something that supports multi-container/codec videos.

17. Chai

But then you need a C2D class processor to run Full HD...

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

AFAIK, the Intel Atom is not really designed to handle strenous multimedia tasks. It doesn't have a built-in video processor and it's only about as fast as the Pentium M processor. What it excels in is doing the job with very low power requirements.

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, but its the only thing that plays almost anything under the sun :mrgreen: You don't need to worry about what container, what codec... saves you the hassle of converting videos.

Not to say PS3 is a bad choice, just that it supports a very limited type of video container/codec and the best thing about PS3 is games :thumb: So it's not a problem if most of your videos are already PS3 compatible or if you don't mind spending time converting videos :lol: which IMO is not very practical.

EeeBox is okay I guess, as long as you are not talking about 1080p.

20. Chai

I will try if it can play Full HD Divx content on PS3. I'm not trying to say PS3 is the best choice, but for the money you pay for EeeBox, you can get a PS3 for a little more money, comes with BD drive, can play games, and basically a media center.

Support original contents! :p