Asus F5GL does not support dual channel

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Lacus, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, just got 2x2gb DDR2 800 ram for the laptop. it boots perfectly but weirdly, it's running 64 bit instead of 128bit (dual channel) how do i get more information regarding this motherboard? even the nvidia website is not helping much but it did mention it supports Dual DDr2 800 or 1066. Btw the motherboard model is Nvidia 8200M G/MCP79MVL. Might give Asus a call tomorrow morning to confirm with them :wall:

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Asus F5GL is the model, NVIDIA 8200M G/MCP79MVL is the chipset.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, at my notebook..it states X59GL series, M/B:F5GL :lol: the weird thing is, it's not running on dual channel. already email Asus regarding this issue...

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's funny but how did you check whether it's running in single channel or dual channel mode?

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

using everest. and during boot up, post display the timing of the rams and shows that it's running on 64 bit (single channel) tested the ram on my another notebook and it works fine :wall:

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, I did a little search myself.. and it looks like the NVIDIA MCP79 only supports ONE memory channel.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, weird...really? maybe everest is giving wrong information regarding the mobo :lol: let me upload a picture in a while.

Attached Files:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

nvidia mcp73 vs intel g33 review

Here's another article stating MCP79 only supports single channel. It's basically the same as MCP73 except with a more powerful IGP and DDR3 1333 support.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ok. thanks for the information XD...thanks everyone that help "solve" this issue :beer: