ASUS Launches The Eee PC 1000HD, 1000H & 904HD!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Well.. if you drop a netbook regardless SDD or not, something bound to crack. It look almost like a plastic toy. Nowadays, 2.5" HDD comes with FFS (Free Fall Sensors) optional features. This feature would park it's head when detect a free fall motion. It might be top end of the line of the 2.5" HDD, it is still cheaper then SDD and with that would transform your netbook to a portable movie/anime/*pink content* player .. lol....

RM1.6-2k is rather expensive, can get a full pledge notebook with that price...

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, I'm not worried about a fall, more about vibration and minor shocks that occur when you use a notebook on the go, e.g. on the lap or while you are in a train. Unlike HDDs, SSDs are totally impervious to vibration and shaking.

Yeah, they are getting a little expensive. Already in the same price range as the lower-end notebooks. :(

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is HDD really that fragile and not able to withstand minor shock or shaking?

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

That's where mobile drive comes in. They are actually more robust then their 3.5" relative. Typical 2.5" spec on shock is operation shock 300G while non-operation shock is 900G oppose to the 3.5" operation shock is 30G and non-operation shock is 300G.

You can consider fall 1" to hard surface as 100G.

Well for the minor bumps and rattle; the mobile drive actually can take it. It has firmware feature like shock guard whereby it would delay writes to the disc upon detecting minor shock, this for better data integrity. I got no doubt about mobile drive, in fact my notebook is a perfect example of rough handling survival test... :lol: In fact my notebook is seldom off, instead it is on standby mode even I commute from country to country ..

5. Chai

I was worried that HDD might fail after constant bumping around while leaving the notebook on. I need to walk around a lot in office holding the notebook.

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Depends on what HDD you are using and notebook. IBM thinkpad got feature like shock sensor as well. Of course always remember to backup. If you have network backup is the best.

7. Chai

Yup, I noticed that Thinkpad has shock sensors, but just wondering how effective it is.

8. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, the BIOS must also support the shock sensor for it to work. At least that's what Seagate drives need. AFAIK, you can't just pop in a HDD with shock sensors and expect it to work.

Hmm.. In standby mode, your HDD would have spun down. So, it should not be a problem. What I'm concerned with is working in vehicles (e.g. trains) where there is constant shaking.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The newer lower-end notebooks are equipped with Pentium Dual-Cores and at least 160GB HDD, if I'm not mistaken.

Still, we all want it to be priced less than Rm1,500. Could be better that way!

(how about the new Malaysian made notebook, can't recall the name??)

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

The shock sensor is realtime, and are able to detect with out BIOS setting. Internal FW, so is good, I am not sure about Seagate FW or you might have mistaken it with Free Fall Sensor. There is specification for rattling, as long as good design chasis and your fats absorbing some shock, is all good, no prob. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, in a way, the mini notebooks actually offer more value for money. :(

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. It was their G sensor. I asked them if I can just buy one to benefit from it but they told me that it must be paired with a BIOS that supports it. As far as I can remember... That was their first gen mobile hard drive with the G sensor.