Asus PEG Root Control and PEG Buffer Length

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by forumposter32, Oct 1, 2005.

1. forumposter32

forumposter32 Newbie

Hello, I have an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe and I’m glad I read about PEG Link Mode (automatically overclocks video card) here because I was able to disable it in BIOS. I had to do that since I read my Connect 3D X700 Pro has a flimsy heatsink. I had seen my GPU temperature at 75’C (right after closing UT2004) and was getting “failed VGA test” error when booting.

Anyway, there are two other options right below it. I still have them on [Auto] because I have no idea what they do. Is this still a mystery like PEG Link Mode was in 2004?
    These options are PEG Root Control and PEG Buffer Length.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello forumposter32,

Woah.. I must admit this is the first time I've heard of PEG Link Mode actually causing a card to fail since it doesn't really overclock the card much. :shock:

In any case, if you have any BIOS feature not yet covered by the BIOS Optimization Guide, do post them here - http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=268.

I will get to them as soon as I can.

Thanks!!

3. forumposter32

forumposter32 Newbie

OK, did you find any information on that? Anyone with any info? Why would Asus include something in a BIOS and not even explain it???

4. Adrian Wong

Still researching them. Have something on them but will need to verify them before posting.

Don't worry. Once I have completed research on ANY BIOS feature, I will post them in the guide ASAP. :beer:

So, do check for the latest BOG updates once in a while.. and post whatever that's not covered in the guide here - http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=268.

Thanks! :beer:

5. RickSteele

RickSteele Newbie

I am running an ASUS EAX850XT PE on a A8N-SLI Premium, FX55-Clawhammer, Corsair TWINX3200XL 1024, Enermax Noisetaker 600W powersupply: all in a Lian Li PC75; and I ran into this also; here's what I found:

1) ASUS's EAX850XT PE Heatsink/fan is flawed in that it does not sit correctly on all of the memory modules but, rather, is uneven/cocked-reminiscent of Arctic Cool's rev1 ATI Graphics cooler-so that the heatsink did not even contact some of the memory modules on the back of the card.
    2) The GPU thermal paste was VERRRY sparingly applied and of questionable quality-flaked off of GPU and the heatsink in clumps very readily, and the pattern was lopsided.
    3)The mickey mouse fan never appreciably increased speed unless rebooting system-rather stupid isn't it-even when gaming for hours.

The idle temp was 49 to 52 C and load temps were 80 to 90 C after Call of Duty2 for 4 hours.
    I usually let the system idle for 15 min prior to shuting down after gaming. One time I waited less time and upon trying to startup 1/2 hour later the system would not boot-1 long beep 2 short beeps-could not load VGA. Peglink was set to faster, Root Control to enabled, Buffer Length Auto.

I set all Peg Link to Disabled, shut off the power to the power supply/mobo, blew the card and mobo with compressed air and everything worked fine again.

So, I purchased and installed an Arctic Cooling 5 rev2 heatsink/fan-substituting their MX thermal paste for Arctic Silver 5 and now my idle temp is consistantly 36 to 37 C and the average load temps are 45 to 50 C, so far never higher, and mostly hovers around the mid 40's C under load; ie: playing Call of Duty2 for 2 hours and Day of Defeat Source for 1 hour, quiting the games and immediately loading ATI Control Center to view temps. My current VPU clock is 554 mhz and the MEM Clock is 601 mhz-through PEG Link set to faster, root to enabled and Buffer at Auto. I've been running this for 1 week now so the Arctic Silver 5 has not even completely burned in yet and no problems at all.

6. Thorz

Thorz Newbie

No difference in my case

I have played with all the PEG functions on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. I have a XFX Geforce 7600GT. In my case NONE of the PEG functions gave me different results in my benchmarks. I ended with everything put in AUTO again as the default is.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. What benchmark did you use?

8. Thorz

Thorz Newbie

Nothing fancy, just 3dMark2005 / 2003. But I guess it should be enough for a testing proposes.
    The video card that I have comes with a slight overclock from the fabric, it is the Geforce 7600GT XXX from XFX, it comes @ 590/1600Mhz. I don't know if this mean something in that PEG mode does nothing to it.

I double checked my findings and PEG does nothing in my case. My hole system is in my sig.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The only option that really affects the performance by overclocking is PEG Link Mode that overclocks the card without you knowing!

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, Chai's right. Did you change PEG Link Mode or just the PEG Root Control or PEG Buffer Length? :think:

11. Thorz

Thorz Newbie

The first option that I changed was PEG link mode, tried it on fastest without any noticeable difference. Now it is on AUTO.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't bother with PEG Link Mode. Just overclock the card with Coolbits.

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, if you are looking to overclock your card, don't bother with PEG Link Mode.

You never know what it does, unless you check the benchmark results.