ASUS S-presso SFF System Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Hubert

Hubert Newbie

Very low performance with linux - HELP

With WinXP my s-presso works fine, but with linux i have very serious problem. The performacne is aproximatelly 5-10 times slower then it should be.

I have tested it with SUSE 10.1 and Fedora 4. CPU works with maximum speed almost 100% but is slow in most of the cases: disk access, starting applications, executing cpu consuming commands etc. It works fine only when eg, when browsing, writing or simple commands.

I am using Intel 4 HT 3GHz.

Where is the problem, any ideas, Please help?

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Newbie

I'm running Fedora Core 4 here on a plain P4 2.4GHz (no HT) - it has no problems to run MythTV: TV-capturing (software-encoding) a video, while playing back another one. Was you trying to run an SMP kernel, or a plain one? Try to disable the HyperThreading in BIOS and see if it changes anything.

The CPU looks to me like being almost too powerful for the built-in PSU, which is just 200W. Be careful not to overheat it.

3. Hubert

Hubert Newbie

Thx for replaying. Initially I was trying SMP kernel, then I disabled HT and tryed both SMP and plain one. Without HT s-presso is even slower.

With HT enabled s-presso is aproximatelly 10 times slower comparing with execution of the same precesses and OS (SUSE 10.1) on my laptop with 1,5GHz CPU.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Newbie

It could also be wrong HD settings in BIOS. I remember having a similar problem when using the Enhanced Mode in BIOS. Symptoms: a lot of "interrupt 10 occured but nobody cared - disabling" messages on consoles. Check it, it should be set to "Compatibility" IDE mode in BIOS to work properly. Also with SATA HD you probably will not get a DMA mode for your CD/DVD-ROM drive, reading from it will be slower.

I already wrote about my first experiences with installing FC4 on this machine in the past, you might like to take a look at it:
    http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?p=248915
    Note: the TV card gives normal colours now, was fixed in some updates.

5. fyford

fyford Newbie

S-presso on Ubuntu

Hi Chaps,

well I finally dug out my S-presso and decided to give linux another go! Installed Ubuntu Edgy and it went really smoothly!

2.4 ghz cpu, 512 RAM, 120GIG hdd, DVD RW - no problems with heat heat or power supply.

Thus far I have only 2 problems:

1) I can't seem to get the SPDIF on the soundcard going - no biggy but still
    2) I am having trouble with TV card that came with it.

Dolphin could you give some insight into where you found drivers for these?

Cheers

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Newbie

Took me quite some time to play with sound mixer switches to lit that output, but even then I wasn't satisfied with the results, so I left it for the future - the generic line-out was sounding good enough for now (as you've said: "no biggy" :) ).

The cx88xx/cx8800 drivers, needed for the TV card ("Leadtek Winfast TV 2000XP Expert"), are compiled into kernel since early 2.6. You should be able to plainly modprobe cx88xx, adding the appropriate config data into modprobe.conf (modules.conf) first:
    options cx88xx card=5 tuner=44

7. spinan

spinan Newbie

Hi! :wave:
    I have Asus S-presson S1-P112 :dance: . After doing some stadbys it finally went off for good; I did standby in the winxp, then it went off and the power light flashed.. When I press ESC button or the power button it used to come back alive, but not last time.. :think: The power button didn't work at all.. :wall: I took the cable off in the back of it and put it back after few sec. Then when I pressed the power button it lights for a fraction of sec, then goes off and nothing more is happening... :nuts:
    Anybody has idea what is wrong? I think its about PSU.. :idea: but I'm not sure.. :confused: Where can I get new PSU to S-presso? :?:
    Thanks!

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Sounds like the PSU is dead. I don't think it's the switch.

You can replace the PSU with any PSU you want. Just make sure it FITS the S-presso. You will need to go with a small PSU.

9. spinan

spinan Newbie

Thanks for reply! :)
    Do you know where can I buy it online or store? I'm in Sydney.

10. Adrian Wong

Not really sure about Sydney... but online, I usually use Pricegrabber. You can Google too.

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey, where can you obtain those cute mini Asus SFFs? The S-presso seems to be very rare here... :shock:

12. Adrian Wong

I think you can order them from the local ASUS distributor. :think:

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I see. But the thing is, are they still selling it, because the SFF uses an old platform already? :rolleyes:

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Newbie

Open the box and look at capacitors on the motherboard. If one of them got a swelling / brown leakage on top - that might be your problem. I had it happening to several of generic motherboards, with the same sympthom: the power LED flashes once when you press the "Power" button and that's it. It will not flash if you try again, until you unplug and replug the power cable. In all cases capacitors had swollen tops. The cause could be low quality capacitors on the motherboard or/and power surges in your power outlets. Usually I was just replacing motherboards if I had this happening, but in this case it might be difficult to find just a motherboard for this ASUS case...

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, maybe they still have some old stock left? :think:

No harm trying. You can always look for a uATX motherboard to replace the original motherboard.

16. uflorin13

uflorin13 Newbie

can`t install xp on hdd wd raptor 74 g 10.000 rpm

i can`t install xp on SATA hdd wd raptor 74 g ,i see it in BIOS ,i tried the xp with f6 key thing but ...i got the usb floppy drive but i can`t find the driver ....need help please

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I don't think you need to press F6 to load any driver UNLESS you are running RAID. Just set the BIOS to load the CD drive first.... and you can install Windows XP on your Raptor.

18. uflorin13

uflorin13 Newbie

i try to do that 1 million times still don't works, even if i connect the raptor with the ide hdd the windows xp (already install on ide hdd) don`t see it ...and i can see it in Bios
    i tried all the setups possible in Bios,someone said that the raid is not enable...i need help pleas

19. Adrian Wong

Wait.. Can you even load the Windows XP installation routine on the CD?

Is the Raptor the only hard drive in the S-presso? If not, try removing all other hard drives first. You should be able to install Windows XP on the Raptor.

20. uflorin13

uflorin13 Newbie

i tried the raptor only at first , Windows XP installation routine from the CD is loading but then is saying that it can find a hdd,tried different settings in bios but nothing.......after that i tried it with my old ide hdd but the windows didnt see it...