ASUS S-presso SFF System Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 3, 2005.

1. yuhaohuang

yuhaohuang Newbie

New

Hi everyone

I've just put mine down on order today. Should be here in a couple of days.

A question though. The manual says that Instant On does not work with add on cards nor any AGP cards.

To what I have gathered, the included TV tuner that comes with P111 will work in Instant On mode. Has anyone tried changing the card to another and testing if that will work ?

I have a HDTV tuner card that I would like to be able to put into the box.

And with the VGA problem, AOPEN's EA65II seems to have solved that with a simple BIOS flash. So im thinking ASUS will follow suit pretty soon.

2. 801run

801run Newbie

S-Presso with MCE 2005

thanx for the review. great, read it before i bought the barebone. have had lots of trouble with this piece though =)

my first intention was to use the s-presso with Windows Media Center 2005. i needed an agp-card with dvi output to get a descent picture on my panasonic ae-700 video projector. the instant-on feature didn't really bother me, i start my system in the morning and let it run all day, dont care about a few extra seconds to boot. also i would not like booting from instant-on to windows just because i like to stream some mp3 or a little now and then. i figured the sp-111 would be a better choice, since i read on several pages that it's compatible with the WinXP MCE and then i would get the tuner and remote, which the sp-112 didn't offer.

setting up MCE was not a walk in the park though. first off, the cheap radeon7000 card i bought wasn't compatible with the MCE, despite the ATI MCE drivers. also, note to all using projectors with long dvi cables, this card didn't put up with a good enougn dvi-output signal. the picture contained lots of artifacts when using a 5m dvi->hdmi cable. when using a standrard 1280x1024 tft monitor the picture was great. so i switched the card for a radeon9600se after reading this review

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/tft_connection-08.html

the 9600se comes without the fan, and luckily enough the dvi signal was good enough to travel 5m to the ae-700. also, this card is supported by the MCE. so, at a moment there i was at piece, until trying to configure the tuner in MCE. the leadtek winfastXP 2000 that comes with the s-presso sp-111 is NOT compatible with the MCE, despite all pages stating that the s-presso sp-111 is compatible with the MCE. according to leadtek, they do not plan to release any MCE compatible drivers either for the winfastxp 2000, they suggest using their PVR2000 card instead. great, so now actually the only piece of hardware delivered by the sp-111 that IS compatible with the MCE is the remote control, works like a treat. also, for you who are planning to use the internal gfx on the sp-111, it's compatible with the MCE, i tried it, but for me the vga connector is not an option.

so i decided to live with the home theatre software until MCE compatible drivers for the tuner is available.

3. kculpia

kculpia Newbie

There are some amazing modifications here, but a few comments.

Of course the case temp is going to increase when the internal graphics card isn't used. This unit was designed to use the Intel video onboard.

Why would the MCE be used instead of the Asus Home Theater? What is the advantage gained? Glad to hear the remote works with MCE, but again the value is lost as the buyer paid for the integration of the software with the box. I am curious, does the front panel touch buttons work with the MCE (chaning mode, pausing video, etc).

TV out? Hmmmm, yes you just need a TV not a computer. I still don't understand why someone would buy this and want TV out. One can get to DVI with an adapter though (VGA to DVI).

4. yuhaohuang

yuhaohuang Newbie

most CRT projectors has only video, s-video and component video. Since a VGA to component video converter cable is very costly, TV-out is preferable for me. Most of my video cards lying around has s-video or video out anyway. The only downside is I wont be able to use Instant on

Of course the ultimate setup would be to have a LCD projector with a VGA or DVI input.

kculpia is right that using a vga to dvi converter is probably the smart choice if u've decided to use MCE.

5. desteef

desteef Newbie

I want to connect it to a TV to use it in stead of my vcr.
    I want to select my mp3 on screen and watch DVD's etc
    so i was really dissapointed that the machine ha no tv-out
    :cry: :cry:

6. SSS

SSS Newbie

After memory reslot is wrong,too.
    If I remove the processor the beeping noise disappeares. If I remove everything from the machine the fans run on the maximum speed. Is it a normal reaction? It seems they are always sensing the hot temperature, or the motor controller IC went wrong. As far as I know these fans controlled by PWM and maybe the PWM providing IC went wrong or it can’t get the appropriate signal on its input. I discharged the processor in a normal way but nothing has happened.

7. desteef

desteef Newbie

MX4000 doesn't work

I just got my ASUS MX4000 card and installed it.

InstantOn doesn't work anymore.
    I get a segmentation error in de rc.boot

I also found out that the filesystem probably is a reiserfs and my next project will be to research wether or not it is possible to change the video driver

8. Koen

Koen Newbie

MX4000

I'm sorry that you wasted money on the MX4000. I did not want to take the risk myself of buying one to find out if it would work. In the mean while I inscribed in the forum I mentioned. I'll send a pm to the author of the post to see if he can give some more detiails.
    PS. The fact that the remote works well in MCE doesn't surprise me. I was looking for it in the device manager and I think it is just detected like a keyboard. Open notepad and then click on the buttons of your remote and it will type (albeit special characters)
    I am not very interested in using MCE thought. One thing I don't like is the propretary format they use to store recordings.

9. Koen

Koen Newbie

startup problem

I tried a non working cpu and that had the same effect. Fans go to 100% so I don't think there is anything wrong with your fan connections. Probably your fans will only work correctly once your pc is up and running. I noticed the same with my digimatrix, while booting the fans go fast for a very short time.

10. desteef

desteef Newbie

Thanks

it's not waisted, because i need a tv-out anyway
    and i have something to experiment fot the RedHat instanOn partition

11. rolfeilert

rolfeilert Newbie

question

Originally Posted by SSS
    If I remove everything from the machine the fans run on the maximum speed. Is it a normal reaction?
    ===========================
    What do you have to remove to trig this behaviour ?

I got a problem that fans go to 100% and nothing happends, its on repair. The fans mantains 100% to infinity.
    thanks

12. desteef

desteef Newbie

i got the same when i installed my MX4000 AGP videocard, but after a power-off/on everything was fine again

13. rolfeilert

rolfeilert Newbie

thought

I just don't get it. If Asus sells this as 2 different units - one with the tuner and instant on (S-presso Deluxe or S1-P111)and one without the tuner and special software (S-presso Standard or S1-P112), why would one buy the S1-P111 and take out the tuner? There is a $120 price difference - it doesn't have the touch panel, home theater software, or the remote control. Seems like those who convert this to a pure gaming machine are throwing their money away.
    ============================================
    Why bother with this tuner card, its probably the worst tv card on the marked costing around 40$ , on my webshop it got the worst criticks. I will buy a usb tv card , u still got remote + everything, but no instant on. With a agp on board you will never anyway.

14. rolfeilert

rolfeilert Newbie

SSS WROTE:
    After memory reslot is wrong,too.
    If I remove the processor the beeping noise disappeares. If I remove everything from the machine the fans run on the maximum speed. Is it a normal reaction? It seems they are always sensing the hot temperature, or the motor controller IC went wrong. As far as I know these fans controlled by PWM and maybe the PWM providing IC went wrong or it can’t get the appropriate signal on its input. I discharged the processor in a normal way but nothing has happened.
    ============================

This is EXACTLY the same error I have , I got the pc to a repair. It might turn out this is a design fault.

15. Hampa_d

Hampa_d Newbie

tv out and the other things im not happy with

got my spresso last week and its already on repair, any ways if i choose to buy a new tvout card will i still be able to use the tv tuner card?

16. janeric

janeric Newbie

converter

Hello!
    I also got my new Sp111,without first read and then buy.
    If one want to watch TV can`t one just buy a VGA to TV- converter,or am I totally wrong?

janeric

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  17. desteef

desteef Newbie

Yes,

No problem, but you loose the InstantOn function

18. da_wimpke

da_wimpke Newbie

crap

Hello all,

as you see this is my first post.
    Been searching hole weekdn for s-presso solution
    I work in computer store
    And i had permition from my boss to make an s-presso demo unit to let the custemers see a mediacenter pc.
    BUT..
    Went out to my hardwareshop friday morning
    Bought :

- Asus S-presso SP111 With : Remote control and tv-tuner included
    - Intel PIV 3.0 Prescot
    - 512MB DDR
    - 200GB Sata150 Maxtor
    - Xp Mediacenter 2005 Dutch
    - Remote control Mediacenter
    - Sony DRU-720 DVD-RW DL
    - AGP Radeon 9250 128MB RAM
    - Hauppauge PVR-500-MCE

So i was thinking to not use the asus theater but the mediacenter from microsoft.
    BUT ..

If i put in the hauppauge tv tuner in "Instant on" doesn't work anymore :wall: . If i boot it it can only show me dvd. If i use the included tuner the "instant on" works "fine" (fine is a big word :clap: ) . but then mediacenter cant show mee TV :wall: so I got big problems. Guess i need to buy a new tv tuner thats compatible with both OR i got to find drivers to get the touch panel working in windows XP

Anyone has a great idea FOR MY BIG PROBLEMS...

:wall: GREETZZ DA_WIMPKE :wall:

19. desteef

desteef Newbie

Hi

i've build:
    sPresso P111
    P4 2.6 GHz
    512 MB memory
    Aopen DVD-ROM

Well it works as designed with InstantOn en TV-Home theater
    (install order: Instant-On, XP-Pro, Instant-On)

But adding other hardware will kill Instant-On
    and i'm still not able to modify the Instant-On partition. Turns out that it might not be possible as it is probably a kind of embedded software from InterVideo

20. rolfeilert

rolfeilert Newbie

anyone else with problems?

Someone else who has problems her. We have 2 persons with the same prolem, at least some indicators.

some more ?

The problem was:
    It wont start it beeps. Screen is dead, some lights.
    Fans go to 100% and nothing else happends.
    The fans mantains 100% to infinity.

Its on repair, and I'm awaiting some info from the shop.
    Keep you informed.

thanks