Atari 2600

Discussion in 'Games' started by Trinity, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pfelelep

pfelelep Newbie

Defender! ROOOOOOCKS!!! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

3. Trinity

Got another one, could not resist!

Note the manufacture date.:mrgreen:

And the spider web in the small left cartridge door opener guide pin hole. Looks grey compared to the other side. It was a pain to get it out,,, dead spider and all.:faint: :lol:

It got a bit banged and broken on the way. A small piece of the bottom shell (Look at top right, the top support is just a bit busted off) got broke when it took a HARD drop to the left front side, Small scratch there also.:cry:

Whoever packed it was a stupid fu*k!:naughty: One small layer of bubble wrap and then in a much bigger flimsy box with no wadding!!! WTF! He could have crumbled up a newspaper or something. Bouncing around and shit with the psu... I'm surprised it isn't more fu*ked up.:wall: Thank God Atari's are built tough!:pray: But I still had to take it apart to clean and lube the four switches (they were a little gummy feeling) and reseat the mobo as this got a bit dislodged in it's drop.:faint:

Works great! 8 out of 10 condition.:) Only $40 bucks.:D

Trin now have back-up Atari.:D

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Wow oh wow, that's a great classic 'rig'! :thumb:

I hope they have remakes on these old toys, and including those older monochrome Gameboys too!

I still want to have the reissued/new-old-stock Famicom set, but in Japan they are selling like $1000 for this one including an array of game catridges which contains the best rated games inside!

On top of that, I wonder what kind of processor does Atari 2600 and these Famicom sets have? Maybe people could have 'reconstructed' them! :thumb:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow! And it still runs?? That's really something. They really built them to last.

6. Trinity

Try looking for one on ebay.;)

Processor??? MOS Technology 6507 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Trinity

Try looking for one on ebay.;)

Processor??? MOS Technology 6507 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Trinity

Yeah runs perfect!:D :D :D Not bad for being 28 years old come this November 5'th.:) It is older then some of our fellow fourmers!:haha:

I still would like to fix my original one when I get the time to poke around in it with a multi meter. I hope it's as easy to fix as replacing the 7805 voltage regulator, or the main filter capacitor. It sometimes powers up for a split second and dies. So, I think the logic section still works, just not getting power.:think:

9. The_YongGrand

Oh I see. It's probably a derivative of the MOS 6502. Anyway, I'm gonna look into some homebrew computers - those video game consoles really give these hobbyists a good insight about them! :thumb:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Just 2 months younger than me! :haha:

11. Trinity

:roll: :haha:

I fixed my original atari!!!:dance: I've had it since 1981!:faint:

After poking around with a multi-meter I noticed the the voltage regulator was only putting out 1 volt, should be five volts. So I went to Radio Shack and bought a new 7805 voltage regulator for $1.59. And replaced the old one. My soldering skills have become rusty, But I got it in... And WALA!!! IT WORKS AGAIN!!!:dance: :D :D :dance: After all these years! It sure is nice to have my favorite childhood toy work again!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. The_YongGrand

Wow... that's cool. Now where's my old Micro Genius... kiinda missed it sometimes! :D

Btw, that sticker in the machine that shouts "5 NOV 1981" or something... my birthday is just the day after this one, and five years later... :haha:

13. Trinity

Yeah, that's the date.

"Now where's my old Micro Genius..."

Here it is, Impressive Famicom Clone: Micro Genius IQ-501 - Retrogaming Roundtable

Attached Files:

14. The_YongGrand

15. Trinity

Darth Vader 2600

After a few years Atari made an all black VCS. (1982-1984)

It came to be known as the Darth Vader model.:) Can guess why?:think: :lol:

I bought a lot of two vaders (as is) for $7 bucks on e-bay.:pray: One has some serious problems, and won't work. And it has a broken pin on the controller port.:doh:

The other working one's case was almost fubor...:doh: And it's working mobo was rusted and looked like it was sitting in a muddy leafy garage for the last 20 years.:faint:

Took the best of both units to build this.:| I guess I'll use the other one for parts.:)

Three hours cleaning and rebuilding later.:D

Attached Files:

16. Adrian Wong

Can we see pictures of the insides????

17. Trinity

Sorry Adrian, I started cleaning the mobo the second I saw the rust!!!:shock: :faint: Trin can't have that!!!:hand: :lol:

But if you go back a few pages and look at the mobo pic I posted, just picture the two metal RFI sheilds rusted all over and a ton of rust and leafs along the bottom of the mobo. It fits in it's case at an angle.

Here are a few pics of the 'leftover' Atari... Still dirty.:faint: :lol: And dead...:cry: I'm afraid it needs one of her three main ic's replaced... Not sure what one though.:confused:

And it smells like spray paint...:faint: :sick:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  18. Adrian Wong

Rust on the motherboard? Or you mean the casing?

19. Trinity

Both. The rust all came from the steel RFI shields. What I think happened is that the unit must have been got wet a few times and then the RFI shields rusted (surface rust, mind you). Then it must have got wet again and again over the years,,, rinsing the rust down off the shields and onto the mobo and also onto the bottom of the inside of the plastic shell. Even the black painted switchs along the top of the mobo were rusted. For all I know,,, It may have even been submerged at one point in time.:faint:

Good thing I had a can of electronics cleaner/lubricant to blast on the steel and all of the switches to get them to work 100% again.:)

20. Adrian Wong

Wow.. What did they do? Spill drinks over it? :mrgreen:

The board could have fried because of the water. :(