[Auto Talk] Running on lower RON petrol

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 19, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Guys, just wanted you to know that I've successfully used RON 92 petrol for some time now with my Hyundai Sonata. Absolutely no problem at all. Not that I expected any, cause I checked the manual and it says that the Sonata's engine supports a minimum of RON 91.

Price savings are small at this time, only 4 cents a liter. With an average consumption of 225 L a month, that saves me RM 9 (US$ 3) a month. Small, but better than nothing! After all, running at RON 97 will not give me any benefit. :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, the small price difference is due to the fact that the subsidy for RON 92 petrol is far less than it is for RON 97. So by using RON 92, I'm indirectly helping the government save a little on subsidy. LOL!

Of course, that will probably change when the government removes or reduces petrol subsidy. When that happens, this could be a real money saver! :thumb:

If you are interested to try, be sure to check your car's manual and make sure the engine can support a minimum of RON 92. Not all car engines can.

Also, not all petrol stations offer RON 92. AFAIK, most, if not all, Petronas stations do not. BHP stations do have RON 92.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeapz.. RON92 is considerd regular.. :p so its should be a problem

there is no use using higher RON :p

only sportier cars need higher RON

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

For my car, I've checked the manual and it states a minimum of RON95, So no can do using Ron92.

One thing to be wary of Ron92 fuel here in M'sia, that's not all the petrol brands adds those fuel additives in both their Ron92 and Ron97 fuels AFAIK. I know caltex techron do. but the rest. Not too sure.

4. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

yeah i read it somewhere that because the RON 92 is only purchased by a minorty of the motorist, some petro brand add very little or no fuel addities into RON 92, which is a cause for concern when using RON 92 :think:

5. Adrian Wong

No idea but BHP petrol claims to have those additives in all their petrol. :think:

In any case, this is easily remedied by occasionally using RON97 petrol. Using RON 97 petrol to periodically "clean up" the engine is actually quite unavoidable.

Not all petrol stations offer RON 92, so sometimes even I have to use RON 97 because it just doesn't make sense to go all the way to a petrol station that does offer RON 92 just to save a few cents.

6. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

the lower the RON.. the higher the chance of your car having detonation.. haha.. lower RON cant stand high compression.. u can run RON92 on a minimum RON95 car.. but u have to adjust your ignition timing.. or esle u'll be experiencing detonation.. kakaka...

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, which is why you must make sure your engine can support RON 92 or lower before using it.