barton 3000 400fsb or barton 300-mobile 266fsb

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by jomofo10, Jul 3, 2004.

1. jomofo10

jomofo10 Newbie

if you had to pick one, price not mattering, which would you pick?

barton 400= runs hotter, but is 400

barton
    mobile runs cooler but is 266

:shifty:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are planning to overclock, the answer is simple. Mobile Barton! :D

3. drab

drab Newbie

64 8)

4. joffa81

joffa81 Newbie

i got 2 amd 3000 xp processors and one is 400 fsb one is 333 the 400 one wont overclock (since read that they are 3200 that wont cut it and are downclocked) but the 333 one woll run at 400 fsb which gives me 2500 mhz (runs very warmat 56c idle 62c under load and voltage is up 0.3 v) but it can be done as for the mobile chip i dont know

5. Wow, Destop Barton at 2.5GHz is good....considering that it's multi locked.

6. Chai

Well, Max_87 got his desktop Barton very close to 2.5GHz. :D

7. well, it's ONLY close to 2.5 :mrgreen:

get/stay with the mobile

8. Chai

DYKT: Mobile Barton do not guarantee 2.5GHz, some owner may even envy Max_87's overclock? :roll:

Overclocking has always been about luck and will always be.

9. i envy his oc, i only got 500 mhz oc on my 1700..

10. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

yeah, if you are into OC, go for mobile those thing oc very well.
    If, you don't go for the higher speed, save you the trouble of oc and better performance.

11. the fsb doesn't matter. just get the mobile. it runs cooler, at a lower voltage, saving energy. it should run at the same perf as the desktop, right?

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Its the exact same one as the desktop. The difference is that its been tested to run at lower voltages and the multiplier is unlocked because the laptop will change the multiplier to clock down the speed to conserve energy and minimize heat.

13. so the mobile is a better alternative most of the time?

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, not really. SOme of em don't overclock much higher than normal ones. The main benefit is that you can raise the voltage proportionately higher than normal bartons coz of the lower stock voltage...

15. they use less energy.yes, less voltage means that you can raise the voltage more... oc is just for the big boys :mrgreen:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Reiterating what I said again? :confused: If someone were to get the XPM for his desktop, then he has one sole purpose of choosing it... And thats to overclock it...

17. maybe for less power usage? :haha: :haha: yeah, i know that the mobile is for ocing...

i should know, im getting one :mrgreen: :thumb:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Less power usage? :confused:

Well if u think that overclocking is for big boys, show how big you are by pushing it to the absolute max... ;)

19. wish i could, i'm not that brave though. ill push it until i max out, but i dont have any high end overclocking parts, like the ocz booster, good oc mb, other stuff like that

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I dont have the OCZ booster either... :mrgreen: Just push it right to the brink... The very least should be at 3200+ speeds... :mrgreen: