Best dvdrw burner

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by k44k, Jan 22, 2011.

1. k44k

k44k Newbie

Got any recommendations?

Presently using samsung sh-s203D but recently cannot read or burn any dvds/cds. Thinking of replacing it.

Thanks.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's the problem with DVD writers - they don't seem to last very long. My notebook's DVD writer cannot even read DVDs even though I probably used it less than a dozen times in the last 2 years!

If you really need to write DVDs, I would go with whatever's cheapest in the market. TBH, they are all pretty much the same nowadays...

Personally, I switched to portable hard disk drives and USB flash drives. They are easier to use, have a ton more capacity and are definitely more environmentally friendly! :D

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

My laptop DVD writer outlasted my desktop DVD writer. :cool:

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Just go for the cheapest one will do, I think I won't even need a ROM device for my next PC, how often do we use it? Heck the last time I burned a disc was like a year ago.

5. k44k

k44k Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

Will look around for a cheap replacement.

6. JTech

JTech Newbie

I've had great success with Lite-On and NEC drive back when NEC was making drives. My current NEC burner is over 6 years old and works fantastic.

My next machine will have this one:

ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think Plextor is one of the best optical drives.

8. Adrian Wong

Wow.. Plextor. Haven't seen one in years! :mrgreen:

For my desktop, I'm using a cheap ASUS DVD writer. I didn't even bother with a dual-layer DVD writer. Heck, I don't think I actually burned more than 5 DVDs with this DVD writer since I bought it two years ago! :haha: :haha:

9. Chai

Nobody sells it here because it is too expensive.

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Me too. I just burned DVDs for my sister sometimes. And I have a bluray writer lying just next to my chasis which I got it out from my company just before it shuts down. :wicked:

But it's laying around collecting dust now... :mrgreen:

11. Spad

Spad Newbie

I cannot suggest a particular model, but I have had very good luck with Sony branded DVD burners - in fact I have had a Sony DVR-DW-Q28A drive since August 2006 in my main PC and have used it extensively in that time with no issues. Good, inexpensive optical drives.

I've read where LG makes a lot of optical drives for Sony, but cannot verify that.

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Been using Asus and LG burners for quite a while and never had issues with them. I only replace them when new features appear. Currently using a Asus 24B1LT as i like to burn Lightscribe discs. It's on SATA port.

13. Chai

Yes, Sony is not a manufacturer. It is merely a rebrand for many LG, Liteon drives etc.

I've been very loyal to Liteon drives as they have very strong community support, many firmware updates. RPC2 hacks for DVD are very common for Liteon drives. There are hacks that will improve burning speed too.

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I would go for LiteOn drives if I'm a serious DVD user. They have a good history of providing updates and yes, it's possible to hack them too. Hehe.. Ah, memories of the good old days when we would do stuff like overburn CDs/DVDs, and hack a cheaper DVD writer into a more expensive model! :haha: :haha:

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My Liteon DVD-RW is there, still good to burn new backups since 2006! :D

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I recalled my friend telling me of a hack that can even change the LED colour of the drive - true?

17. Chai

Should be a simple LED swap mod, involves simple soldering. Can be done on most drives unless they are using those SMD LED, then it is a bit tricky, but still doable.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I think it was a firmware hack, which means the hardware could support few LED colour, possible?

19. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

They changed the colour of the LED only. The firmware hack could be modifying the burn speed and etc. :mrgreen:

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, ironically I think I read somewhere few days ago Sony/Samsung closing down one of their factory producing DVD/CD due to people now using flash drive.

Seriously, kudos to our fellow Malaysian who invented pendrive, revolutionize our life.