best overclock 'c' series p4

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by athlonxp, Dec 24, 2005.

1. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

which one is the best? either 2.4c, 2.6c or 2.8c :rolleyes:

are the c series base on prescott core?

thanks

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

C series are northwood ...
    E should be prescott

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

prescott is real hot..need good cooling

for me..although i dun own one i think 2.4C is great..coz it can really overclock..if u dun overclock get a higher mhz one's...

4. mathew7

mathew7 Newbie

My personal experience with 2.4C:
    I overclocked it to 3G (FSB 200->250) and it works well on an Abit IS7 (Intel 865PE). Of course I had to raise the voltage from 1.525V to 1.575V (the Northwood family si rated for 1.500 - 1.550 V). I also tried it for 266 MHz FSB (~3.2G), but memtest gives me errors (even with memory at 177MHz). But i don't know if it's the processor (probably the cache) or chipset(865). I would go for the chipset since further increasing the processor voltage makes no difference.
    The first time I put it to 3G, I ran a test: recompressing a DIVX/MP3 AVI (to DIVX/MP3).
    At stock voltage, it froze after 2 minutes.
    After raising core voltage to 1.550V (maximum spec), it froze after 7 minutes.
    After further raising to 1.575V (next possible step for my MB), it finished recompressing the movie after 2 hours.

But there is one thing you should know:
    All processors (all frequencies from one family) are built on the same production line. They are marked I believe after a thermal test (well, it is a test). So a 2.4C is hotter than a 3.0C at the same frequency. After all, I got to 3G, but I raised the voltage over specifications (which directly affects power consumption/heat).

So I don't know how much you can overclock the FSB. But I think you can go to 250MHz on any Intel chipset.
    I also think that any Northwood can handle 3.2GHz with proper voltage and cooler.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

prescott is one hot chick!! :drool:

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i guess 2.4C overclocks better than 2.6C .. but not all processors will overclock the same.. it depends on some luck i guess..

i only manage to push to 235 FSB .. heat issue..

7. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

thanks for the reply ;)

so how high can the prescott oc to? around 3.4 possible?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

With good cooling, maybe...

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

mine 2.8E can clock to about 3.5..dats 250mhz X 14

but need good cooling..mine temp kept to about 33C idle n 40C load cooled by xp-120 n a 145cfm fan