Best replacement battery for MOBO.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by 1031982, May 31, 2008.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, took about 6 years, but the CMOS battery on my MOBO died.

Just for verification, (for any person thinking differently or wanting to know the symptoms.) Every time I turn my PC off (power down) and back on, all the default settings are loaded in the BIOS. There are no error messages, but my system won't boot (I need to tell it to boot off SATA, otherwise it ignores it). My RAM speed is slower (BIOS allows different timing for RAM and FSB) and it defaults to having every onboard device enabled. A regular reboot (no power loss) keeps everything remembered.

Ok, what brand is best for a replacement? I don't have an issue paying up to about $10 for one if it's worth it. Model needed is the CR2032.

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

any CR2032 batts fine :) i usually see panasonic brands sold here in my place.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I think any good and branded CR2032 battery will do. I think Most CR2032 battery are able to last quite sometime..Even my old Pentium III Cmos battery still works :mrgreen:

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Yep pretty much any branded CR2032 will do. We use 2016, 2025 and 2032 for remote controls and key fobs and no real difference in any manufacturer we have used.

Just check the date and make sure they are packaged properly. A while back some brainiac at our supplier shipped us 100 2016 loose in a plastic bag ... of course they all shorted themselves out DOA :shifty:

5. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

well you need to take battery that can recharge and that is that
    i use sony lol

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok. I know sometimes with types of batteries the brand matters. Thanks for the info all!

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! That is so "smart" of him! :haha: :haha:

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Picked up an Energizer one. Replaced it, and worked like a charm. Good old single packaging!

9. Mac Daddy

No doubt ;)

10. Mac Daddy

Cool and that should work fine for you :D

Some more info on Lithium batteries for you if you are interested :mrgreen:
    Lithium battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Anywayz, ANY Battery will do fine as long as it's branded like Energizer, duracell or stuff like that. Run to a convenience store and instantly buy them! :D

In another story about computer batteries, I once had a 486 PC, which the WHOLE BATTERY (drum shape, brand: Varta 1000mAH I think so), soldered ONTO the board!!! :faint:

The worst thing could be the CMOS kept on forgetting the date, and all of the electrolyte oozing out of the darned thing when it's even kept too long.

Thank goodness, I ditched the board already. Why did they create barrel-shaped batteries and soldered them onto the board? :wall:

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I wonder why don't they make a Rechargable CR2032 battery :think:

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

because it will end up being more expensive? :think:

14. Mac Daddy

Lithium will accept a charge in most applications and due to the long life of the lithium cell they probably think it is not necessary.

A lithium cell in some applications will outlast the entire lifespan of a nickel cadmium rechargeable cell.

15. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hey where and how much does it cost?
    my battery has been drained out for months :p

16. Mac Daddy

About 5 CAD and any local watch or battery shop should carry them :D

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I wonder if we leave the PC turned off but the power supply at the outlet is not turned off, would it utilize the battery to keep the CMOS settings alive?

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If the power supply is still on, the motherboard will be in standby mode.

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, and it will recharge the CMOS battery.

20. Mac Daddy

Both replies above are correct the CMOS battery will trickle charge as long as the PSU is on(reset switch by plug).